Author Topic: WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE INDEX THREAD!  (Read 102715 times)

Josh

WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE INDEX THREAD!
« on: March 19, 2007, 12:53:29 AM »
This thread began as "THE WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE THREAD," but we will now keep it as Topstone Index thread for future Topstone posts.

E.A.

vxx

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:03:29 AM »
Those raw pulls were from the Topstone 'G' line. George L was offering them for awhile. I happen to have an old Topstone catalog & master from the 'G' Line on auction right now.

Topstone produced many masks over the years, I'm not sure when the company was started but I do have a jobbers catalog from 1956 that has the Shock monster in it, I'm sure it was way before that. Topstone is most famous for those great masks sold in the back of Famous Monsters & other monster mags of the late '50's & '60's, many were stamped Keith Ward Studios who was a fairly well known artist of childrens books back then.

If you can find Scary Monsters mag. # 44 (i think), it has a Topstone article that I contributed to.

Many collectors shun these masks because they are 3/4 masks with usually sculpted hair. But I say that they were some of the best sculpts done this side of Don Post Studios. They were lively, realistic & had plenty of charater, there hasn't been anything like them again from any company....D

Josh

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:13 AM »
Thanks for the info, I am getting that issue of SM from their site today (they have a great back issue selection).  Its funny (I guess) but the reasons that you cite for many collectors not being to keen on them are exactly the things that I have taken a shine to.  I love the sculpted hair (I also love it on the DP 800s, lest I digress) and I like the look of the 3/4 format.  I think they are some of the most fun, distinctive and most impotant cleverly sculpted masks of the vintage era.  I also love that none of them are officially licensed monsters from films.  Its their mummy, wolfman and frank as well as their originals the vamp girl, the shock monster, the caveman, the ghoul just to mention a few.  Also, as a HUGE fan of the Frankenstein monster I am very excited that Topstone made so many versions.  It gives me more to track down for me decidedly Frank heavy collection.  You just can't beat that retro look and feel.

Klung1

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.klung1.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 03:38:35 PM »
If memory serves me right (and after all these years it may not...) the first mask I ever owned was a Topstone Ghoul. Truely bad-ass!
They're dead. They're all messed up.
NOTLD '68

Toy Ranch

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »
Quote from: Klung1
If memory serves me right (and after all these years it may not...) the first mask I ever owned was a Topstone Ghoul. Truely bad-ass!

I had a Mummy first, and later the Ghoul.  I wore them year-round, lol!

The Maskahuna

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 12:50:34 AM »
I had a SHOCK MONSTER once. I often used it as a hand
puppet as well as a mask. Newberry's was the dime store in
our neighborhood back in the 1960s and they were usually
overstocked with Topstone masks during the Halloween
season. I think there was a store nearby called "Fun Fair"
too. There was no such thing as Halloween superstores
back then. I only ever saw masks in magic shops and
stores which carried jokes and novelties.
The primitive but effective look of Topstone masks will
always remind me of those days so long ago.

I called it "The Ghoul" but we all know what it really is.

Klung1

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.klung1.com
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Monster Collector, I'm digging that avatar! Watching all those AIP films on the Ghoul's show made me the man I am today. I recently discovered that he's sill around after all these years.
Twang that magic twanger, Froggy!

www.theghoul.com
They're dead. They're all messed up.
NOTLD '68

vxx

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 11:46:18 AM »
Great pic Maskshuna. One of my childhood recollections is saving up my allowance money & sending off for one of the Topstone masks to FM, (I think it the Teenage Werewolf) & never getting it.  :(   I don't think I ever got over that..lol

Toy Ranch

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »
Maskahuna, the "ghoul" I had was the one in the center top row of vxx's 2nd link there, next to the Shock Monster.  Then also the Mummy below it.  Your "Ghoul" is definitely a Shock Monster!

Josh

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 01:12:44 PM »
GREAT pic Maskahuna, I love seeing photos of vintage masks in stores.  I would have loved to have walked into a store and seen the Shock Monster's bulging eye staring back at me.  Also, anyone from what year(s) these are from.  I've never seen the 2 vamp women anywhere but on this site.  

http://www.cemeterygateproductions.com/ ... EMASKS.htm

And for that matter, anyone know where I can get a classic Vamp girl, like the one in the Famous Monster ads

Josh

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »
If they did I'm out of the loop (wouldn't be the first time).  I'd love know.

Josh

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 10:22:11 AM »
For anyone that is interested, I did hear from Justin (*at*) Nightowl (thanks Darrell) and he said that he has the Vamp Girl and the Lagoon Monster and just needs to make fresh molds then he will be able to offer them again.  So thats good news.

actionplus

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 01:46:44 PM »
Hi everyone,
This is my first post on the forum...I've been a fan of the old Topstone masks, and have just recently begun to seek out mask makers who are re-casting them, or casting them from original mold masters.  What I've found so far is that there are 3 people making them:
1. Darrell (*at*) VXX-FX
2. Terry (*at*) Cemetery Gate
3. Nightowl Prod.
Does anyone else know of any other sources?  I'm sure these 3 are more than enough to keep me busy (and poor!) for awhile...
Thanks!
Andy

Josh

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:38 AM »
I'd like to start really comparing notes on Topstones since there is little to no info out there on the web (at least from what I've been able to find).  My main source of info has been word of mouth and the catalog that Monster Mayhem has posted.  Darrell was selling a catalog on Ebay and I guess I missed it because it diappeared from my watched items, but whoever did get it I hope would be so kind as to scan and post it somewhere for the common good. :wink:  Anyway, what I am really after is masks, release dates, etc.  Anything anyone knows.  I picked up a copy of Scary Monsters that has an excellent article on the Shock Monster but no info on the rest.  Basically heres what I have cobbled together from my (very) minor findings.  

Monster Mayhem posted catalog dated 1960 shows pics of these masks.  I could not read the names of several so I made up names.

Over - T (Super Over The Top Masks)

page 1

Caveman (Darrell makes)
Mowhawk
Chinaman
Moustache Pirate
Gorilla
Spasm (I got from Aaron, that was made from an orginal master copy)
Horror "Shock Monster" (Darrell makes)
Grandma
Grandpa (Aaron said he can make one)
Disc Lip
Green "Mask" Face
Bone Nose

page 2

Devil (Cemetary Gates sells as "Route 666")
Skull
Witch (Cemetary Gates sells as "Wicked")
Bald Pirate
Goofy Guy
Clown
Different Grandma
Lagoon Monster (I am told that Nightowl will be able to make this soon)
Monster (Dan Drista makes)
Mummy (Darrell makes)
Vamp Girl (I am told that Nightowl will be able to make this soon)
Cyclops

Those are the only 3/4 masks shown in the catalog.  Additionally I have seen these 3/4 masks:

Teenage Werewolf (Darrell)
A second Frankenstein (Darrell)
A third Frankenstein (Darrell)
Ghoul (Darrell and Aaron also said he can make one)
Creepbeat (Aaron said he can make one)
Beat guy w/ glasses (Darrell)
Fraknenfiend (Cemetary Gates)
Barney (Cemetary Gates)
Ghoulia (Cemetary Gates)
Lady Death (Cemetary Gates)

Also, HMAEA has a skull wearing a red hood in his collection of Topstones that I have never seen anywhere else.  

There is also a "G" line (mentioned earlier in this threa) of full over the head masks.  I know about

The Bridal Skull
A Frankenstein
Brute

and of course several more that where featured in the catalog that I hope finds its way onto the web.  Someone was selling raw pulls of both the Frank and Bridal Skull several months (maybe a year) ago on Ebay, but I don't know who.  I have a finished Bridal Skull coming but I really want at least the Frank.  Any info that anyone has about anything Topstone related let me know.  Also, correct me if I have gotten anything wrong or anyone wants me to remove/change anything.

actionplus

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 02:08:46 PM »
The Dracula/Vampire mask from that line-up was called "Brute" I think.  Thanks very much for posting the list.  This is very helpful for me.  Trying to track these masks down is proving more difficult than I thought!
Thanks!
Andy