Author Topic: WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE INDEX THREAD!  (Read 99036 times)

Josh

WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE INDEX THREAD!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 03:10:33 PM »
Yeah, they are hard to find, but thats what makes it so much fun.  Of course if I never get a Gorilla or a G-line Frank then my attitude will change to frustation.  Also, I am soooo excited about the prospect of a Vamp Girl and Lagoon Monster that I'm chomping at the bit.  BTW, which vampire where you referring to that should be called Brute so I can fix the list?

actionplus

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 03:16:06 PM »
That is the master that Darrell had; I think it's a vampire called Brute in the catalog.  I hear you on the Skull Bride & Lagoon Monster; I would love to have those!
Andy

actionplus

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 03:19:06 PM »
Oh, and a Vamp Girl?  I didn't even know that there was a prospect on that one!  Tell me more...
Andy

Josh

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 03:35:20 PM »
Crap, I could have sworn I mentioned that.  Anyway, Justin (*at*) Nightowl said he will be making the Lagoon Monster and Vamp girl soon, but he didn't say when.

actionplus

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 03:40:35 PM »
AH, OK.  I thought it was the Lagoon Monster & Skull Bride.  Vamp Girl, even better!  I sure hope he gets them done!
Andy

CreepingDead

• http://www.monster-mayhem.com
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 07:13:18 PM »
Spasm (I got a re-cast from Aaron that he made)

It's from an original master copy, not a recast  :D

Josh

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2007, 09:37:46 AM »
Well, even better.  :D   See how much I don't know?  This is why I am always asking so many questions around here.

actionplus

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 11:58:07 AM »
Me, too, Josh!  Even after collecting monster toys for almost 20 years, I have discovered that mask collecting is an entirely different hobby in and of itself.  I just got the Dr. Lady book to try and learn what's going on with the high-end stuff, but there isn't a lot of info that I've been able to find on those lower-end masks like the Topstones.  It's surprising to me due to the fact that they were so prominently featured in the Famous Monsters Captain Company ads.  I would expect more interest in them, and more information available.  I guess it's book-writin' time, Josh!!!
Andy

Josh

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
Yeah, one of the things that I enjoy so much about mask collecting is the lack of published, indisputable info.  Pretty much you have Dr. Ladys book and thats it.  Any other info you get from other collectors/makers (i.e. like on this site) or from "fan made" sites (like the 400 lb gorilla of mask sites, the Rubber Room).  You have to ask, and discuss and research, and watch Ebay and view collection picks, and ask some more to get the info.  I find that much more fun (and rewarding) then the HUGE established collecting communitys where everyone already seems to know everything and there are tons of books rehashing the same tired info (i.e. Star Wars)   Anyway, not get off topic.  I like Dr Lady's book, but since he only covers masks from films and TV it is very limited.  For one thing, it has no 800 line masks, which I can't understand since all but 2 of those are from film sources.  Also, no Topstone sicne they didn't license  And since it has not been updated in 10 years it does not include most (nearly all) the masks that have sprung up from online mask makers (i.e. most of the links on this site)  A GREAT book, I have worn my copy out and I love it, but it falls short in a few places.  What I'd like to do is collect all the info I can on the key non-movie masks of the vintage era (up to, say, 1980) and create a website that is devoted to those masks.  Since that is pretty broad in scope, I'd like to start with Topstones and overlooked Don Post (grave digger, Frozen Ghost and the like) and then branch out as I get more info.  However, since there is so little info to start I am going to be relying heavily on collector support, catalogs, ads, etc.  I might start a blog about it that we can use as the hub if I get enough info to start.  We'll see

Josh

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Well that sucks.  By the way, while we're on the subject.  How exactly did all these old molds end up in the hands of several indie mask makers?  I mean, a lot of people have different molds and I was just wondering how everyone got them.  It seems extremely lucky (and very fortunate for collectors)

Latex Creep

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2007, 12:28:42 AM »
I think George L was the person who found the treasure of Topstone masters a couple years ago.

Here are a few pics of my copies...

You can also see them in the members gallery under "Kevin Dobbs"

The last picture has the Topstone Tentacle!
James Lurgio
Nightmare Productions
www.nightmaregallery.com

matango

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2007, 08:51:21 AM »
Very nice !  :D  :shock:
They\'re dead. They\'re all messed up.
NOTLD \'68

Josh

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2007, 12:01:32 PM »
God I love that tentacle!! And that hooded skull!! AND I REALLY love that full head Frank.  If you ever get tired of looking at them or they start mouthing off let me know  I'll give them a good home.  Great pics Kevin (although I've probably viewed your entire gallery 50 times, great stuff!!)

CreepingDead

• http://www.monster-mayhem.com
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 09:58:05 AM »
anyone ever consider re-printing it for sale in the classifieds? I'd be all over a copy.

There WAS a run of the "1960 Topstone Catalog" reproductions done when it first went up on Monster Mayhem.

Just last weekend I went to a costume shop and uncovered a MINT set of vintage Topstone "Horrible Hands", which can also be seen in the 1960 catalog. Even the package is still mint! Here they are next to a set of the original master copies.

Josh

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 10:03:12 AM »
Any chance that one of those repros is still available, I'd love to have one.  Also, GREAT score on the hands!!