Author Topic: WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE INDEX THREAD!  (Read 102698 times)

CreepingDead

• http://www.monster-mayhem.com
WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE INDEX THREAD!
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »
Pretty sure the catalog repro sold out, but I can check

Here's a couple original Topstones (from various years) I have in my collection

Shock Monster

Skull

Ghoul

Pirate

and here's a couple more originals I have but I don't know where I put them to take new pictures so I'll use my old ones. I know I've got more, I just can't find 'em!

Frankenstein

Colored Girl (Catalog name, not mine!)

And just for fun -

Josh

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2007, 11:26:59 AM »
VERY COOL pics, thanks a lot.  I really like that Skull. I saw a Frank like that one on Ebay months ago but missed out on it, been kicking myself ever since.

CreepingDead

• http://www.monster-mayhem.com
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2007, 04:24:44 PM »
That full head Frank in Kevin's pics was made by Don Post, just in case there was any confusion.  :D

Josh

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2007, 04:41:39 PM »
Yeah, I am actually very confused then.  I only saw the full head Topstone once, and that was in the form of a raw pull on eBay over a year ago, so I just assumed that was it finished.  But now that you mention its a DP mask I am even more intrigued as I have never seen that DP Frank before.  When was it released? Any other info on that one?

vxx

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2007, 08:01:33 PM »
Josh..That blue Topstone Frank Aaron posted that you said you missed is the same mask you just ordered from me. It looks different (Aaron's) because its cast so thin. I gave that original mask pictured to Aaron a couple years back.

The DP Frank mask was first issued in the late '60's. I have an original in my collection.

Josh

« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 01:47:32 PM »
Quote from: vxx
Josh..That blue Topstone Frank Aaron posted that you said you missed is the same mask you just ordered from me. It looks different (Aaron's) because its cast so thin. I gave that original mask pictured to Aaron a couple years back.

The DP Frank mask was first issued in the late '60's. I have an original in my collection.

Yeah, I know its the same mask, I meant that I could have gotten an original bluish one for really cheap, I just forgot to bid.  I'd still rather have the really nice one I got from you, but an original to display along side it would be nice

Also, I'd love to see pics of your original late '60s DP Frank.  I really like that mask.

actionplus

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 03:34:35 PM »
I didn't even make the connection that the Frank mask was the same as the one Darrell casts!  Man, it makes a huge difference when a mask is cast thicker and painted well.  I have an original and they look totally different.
Andy

Josh

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2007, 04:02:57 PM »
I agree, I think that the difference is most apparent in the Ghoul and especially the Shock Monster.  With cheap ass production paint the Shock Monster is a mess, all the detail of the sculpt is lost, the right eye is cut out (although I assume they made some with the right eye intact). However, when made as a high quality mask with an excellent paint job its a great looking piece.  I just got a Shock Monster from Aaron last week (which if I remember correctly is one of Darrells masks with Aarons paint)  and it looks amazing.  I got the Ghoul (among others) yesterday from Darrell and was struck by just how good that mask (actually all 4 I bought) looks in person.  He is able to bring out all the detail and beauty of the sculpt by making a quality mask and expertly painting it.  I'd love to know who sculpted the Topstone monster masks and if they have ever seen the work of the talented artists that have finally done their work justice.  The excellent Topstone sculpts where not given their due credit by the slap dash paint jobs and cheap-o thin masks that Topstone turned out.  Not that they don't have a great retro charm and are desireable in their own right, they just can't hold a candle to a collector quality version of the same mask (but they also sold for dirt cheap so that has a lot to do with it)

vxx

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2007, 06:42:43 PM »
I just got a Shock Monster from Aaron last week (which if I remember correctly is one of Darrells masks with Aarons paint

Did Aaron sell his personal copy he got from me? I'm curious what you got.

The Shock Monsters didn't always look so bad as that pic above. By the 1980's on until their demise, Topstone masks sold were really painted sloppy & very thin & for the most part the molds were shot. They were also done overseas by then. The mask Aaron posted is a later resculpt. I know, I had one & compared it to the original, its different. Posted below is a photo of the original '60's Shock Monster mask I had for years. You can see that it actually looks pretty good.

Josh

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »
Heah Darrell, is that the mask that you wrote about in your Scary Monsters piece?  Its AWSOME to see an authentic 60's Shock Monster.  Thanks for posting the pic.  According to Aaron the mask he sold me was a Shock Monster that he got from you a couple years ago and painted himself. Heres the pics that he sent me...

vxx

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2007, 07:20:49 PM »
Yes that is the one I wrote the Scary Monsters article about. Its the only vintage copy I've seen in person.

actionplus

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2007, 10:15:50 PM »
Just scored a vintage Topstone Gorilla Monster mask today...never thought I'd find one of these at a local toy show, but there it was.  You never know.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poseablemonster/496819547/

Dr.Terror

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2007, 10:28:28 PM »
Cool! is that the gorilla from the catalogs??

actionplus

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2007, 10:35:05 PM »
Yes, I am pretty sure it is.

vxx

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2007, 10:58:21 PM »
Nope....Not the Gorilla Monster...might be a later Topstone but not The Gorilla. I have one.