Author Topic: WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE INDEX THREAD!  (Read 100630 times)

GeorgeL

Re: WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE INDEX THREAD!
« Reply #585 on: April 22, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
I saw it. Almost bought it myself. Think it was $55 or thereabouts.

Ghoul, you should grab a new casting from me and display the original over it. Better than foaming. I have an original vamp girl over a new cast. Like form fitting display head for the mask.

raycastile

« Reply #586 on: April 22, 2015, 11:56:49 PM »
Ghoul, you can buy one of George's new castings to display alongside the vintage one. But if don't have the original foamed, it's going to be destroyed. That's not opinion. That's what's going to happen. The Frankenstein is already turning hard and cracking. It could last a couple more years, or a couple more months. You never can tell. I've had vintage masks go from "perfect" to "ruined" in 90 days. Foaming will save it. It's the only thing that will. If I bought something like that, I would be shipping off to Maskahuna the same week I received it. If you want to preserve it, you need to foam it.

Was this Frankie on ebay? It must have been excellently hidden. Like a snow leopard in the North Pole. It's not showing up under completed auctions for Topstone, Frankenstein mask, rubber Frankenstein, latex Frankenstein, Halloween mask, rubber mask, etc, etc.

Ghoul

« Reply #587 on: April 23, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »
Actually, it was listed on Etsy of all places. $55 is right. (And the same seller has an '80s Topstone in terrible condition for $120? Odd.). I will get a picture later today, and I'll be sure to message Maskahuna about foaming it. It needs it, and soon. I already had plans to get a new casting for alongside this one. and print up the ad for it. So excited about collecting these!

Ghoul

« Reply #588 on: April 25, 2015, 04:54:33 PM »
So sorry this is a couple days later than I said. Got sick pretty suddenly on Thursday, but feeling better now and, well, here he is. The picture isn't the greatest, but if this works, I'll get some better ones (and display him on something better than a cardboard box). As you can (hopefully) see, he's from a very well-used mold, and is covered in those little pimple-like blemishes. And that dent in his nose is starting to harden and crack. Could I soften that up and shape it correctly with heat perhaps?

raycastile

« Reply #589 on: April 28, 2015, 12:06:34 PM »
If you've never tried to restore a vintage Topstone, I wouldn't start with that mask. Find something expendable to use for practice. Yes, you can soften that rubber and reinforce it from inside using cheesecloth (or something similar) and latex or contact cement. It will never look 100 percent good as new, but you can preserve its shape and stop it from falling apart. Don't use a hair dryer. I find that hot air cooks the rubber and changes its color. I prefer soaking it in hot water. It's not something you can learn by reading posts online. You have to get some old, thin masks and start practicing. What works for one person might not work for you. Find your own methods through experimentation.

Ghoul

« Reply #590 on: April 28, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »
Thanks so much for the reply.
I certainly didn't plan on restoring this mask myself beyond stopping the nose from cracking, I just wouldn't trust myself. I thought I saw you post somewhere about using very hot water to soften wrinkles, and figured I could hold his nose in hot water to get that fold out of it, then use a little latex and cheese cloth to seal the crack before it gets worse. The rest I need to leave to someone who knows what they're doing, like Maskahuna.

raycastile

« Reply #591 on: April 29, 2015, 12:43:18 AM »
The fold won't come out by itself. After heating it in hot water, you will need to shape the nose with your fingers and press it into its original round shape. The rubber might crack when you do this. The more you can heat it up, the better. The most important thing is to not let a piece break completely off. You will know once you press on the rubber whether it will flatten out without making a bad situation worse. It's a delicate procedure, and it might not work. Proceed carefully.

Ghoul

« Reply #592 on: July 09, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »
So, did anyone here get that Grandpa that was on ebay for a mere $10.49? Sure it had hole in the back of the head, but   from the front that was one of the best I've seen.

smartboysports

« Reply #593 on: July 09, 2015, 10:39:27 PM »
NOT ME...  I'm the seller  >:(
Instead of doing a BIN, I thought I'd take my chances with an auction... UGH.
Sure, it had a hole in the back and some missing hair (falls out with age, lol),
but I honestly thought it'd get much better action.  Wish I would have kept it.

GeorgeL

« Reply #594 on: July 10, 2015, 08:13:36 AM »
you should have listed it here in the classifieds. I would rather slit my wrists than let ebay take $.01 from my auctions. They are corporate scum!

Ghoul

« Reply #595 on: July 10, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »
NOT ME...  I'm the seller  >:(
Instead of doing a BIN, I thought I'd take my chances with an auction... UGH.
Sure, it had a hole in the back and some missing hair (falls out with age, lol),
but I honestly thought it'd get much better action.  Wish I would have kept it.

What's funny is I thought it would go a lot higher too. That's why I didn't even bother bidding. Sorry you didn't really get what it's probably worth.  :-\

raycastile

« Reply #596 on: July 11, 2015, 11:49:30 PM »
I was going to bid on it, but I've already got five other Grandpas. But as you said, the face was the best I've seen on an original Keith Ward sculpt Grandpa. That hole in the head and the missing hair definitely gave me pause. If not for those issues, I would have placed a hearty bid.

zagatile

« Reply #597 on: April 17, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
I've searched high and low for an ID on the name of this mask, but I could be missing something fairly obvious -- sorry in advance if that's the case!

I bought it circa 1994 (upstate NY). At the time, I thought it resembled the female gargoyle from the '72 film, with Sam the Eagle's stateliness. I think I like it even more, now -- the textures and the colors are kind of wild.

I'm also curious about  the "Fantasies Limited" line. It looks like it is a Topstone trademark, but I can't find many references to this.

I don't recall what the others masks were that flanked this one, but was this a fantasy world/setting series?

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any knowledge on this one. Thanks!

Josh

« Reply #598 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »
VXX, 2010 Shock #1

Josh

« Reply #599 on: March 19, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
Happy 10th Birthday WORLD FAMOUS TOPSTONE THREAD!

Ten years ago today I started this thread looking for information about Topstone masks. I'd seen them around here and there but there was no information anywhere. This was before Ray Castile started collecting and researching Topstones, before the Mass Produced Halloween Masks category on the HMA. So, I started asking questions, trying to get a handle on what was out there and this started a conversation that eventually reached 40 pages.

This thread reminds me of my own personal "golden age" of collecting, around  '07 to '08:
The HMA was lively and I was discovering new stuff every day. I'd become acquainted with Justin Mabry and we'd chat late at night while he was mask making and I was trying to get my newborn son to sleep. Darrell was cooking up new stuff all the time and it seemed that everyone was getting into these masks. It was awesome!

Those days are over for me, I sold off most of my collection a long time ago. I'm getting back into collecting now, but its not the same. The pieces are fewer and farther between and the prices are a lot higher. But the masks are the same. They are still as fun and unique as they ever were. I recently bought a blue haired Shock from VXX and when I opened the box I got that old familiar feeling. Like a ghoulish old friend coming home. Anyone that loves masks knows that feeling. There is nothing else like it

Finally, as any thread on Topstones must, I've gotta give a BIG THANKS to George Ligouri for making all this possible. It was George that went to the old Topstone factory when it was being closed down and saved the masters from destruction. ALL newly made Topstones that you see are thanks to George!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 12:26:50 PM by Josh »