Author Topic: Jesus bust  (Read 7982 times)

DRLADY

• http://www.drladysunnecessarilylongtitledwebsite.com
Re: Jesus bust
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2009, 03:56:04 PM »
A.B.,  I guess both J.L. and I took your comment to Scott a lot more seriously than we should have.  Absolutely NO reason to feel bad or embarrassed or anyhting, 'k?

And J.L., I was just deliberately yanking yer chain (that's Ohio-ese for "teasing")  when I said you were feeling sorry for yourself!

Honestly, the phrase "reason for the season" isn't one I like or would use, either, primarily because it rhymes.  The fact that "reason" rhymes so well with "season" creates a "cute", catchy, pseudo-clever sort of sound that can be a bit of a turn-off.      
Christ is obviously the reason for Christmas (you know, "Christ Mass"), and nobody sane can deny that.  But regrettably some would-be clever person had to find a way to remind us all of that fact in a snappy way that sounds like one of those ear-punishing witticisms Ned Flanders uses.   ("Hey diddley-ho, neighborino, remember the reason for the season, Oka-ley-doka-ley?")   Eccch.  All I can say is, hope you can cringe your way past the Flanderism of that smug phrase to see that people who use it generally have the best of intentions.

(And by the NFL I was of course referring to the Nosferatu Freak Legion.)

Wicked Lester

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2009, 04:56:48 PM »
Quote from: DRLADY
A.B.,  I guess both J.L. and I took your comment to Scott a lot more seriously than we should have.  Absolutely NO reason to feel bad or embarrassed or anyhting, 'k?

And J.L., I was just deliberately yanking yer chain (that's Ohio-ese for "teasing")  when I said you were feeling sorry for yourself!

Honestly, the phrase "reason for the season" isn't one I like or would use, either, primarily because it rhymes.  The fact that "reason" rhymes so well with "season" creates a "cute", catchy, pseudo-clever sort of sound that can be a bit of a turn-off.      
Christ is obviously the reason for Christmas (you know, "Christ Mass"), and nobody sane can deny that.

You do know that Christmas is a made up day. It was the church's way of trying to sway Pagans over to Christianity.
Since there was Saturnalia , the Winter Solstice and the old sun god Mithra was to have been born on Dec. 25th. There are many things about Christmas festivities that are Pagan in origin including wreaths and giving presents.

According to many experts and based on astronomy charts of the time Christ was born in late summer.

DRLADY

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »
If you were addressing me specifically, W.L., yes, I did know all that.   But I suppose not everyone knows it.  And I know Jesus wasn't really born on December 25th.   But the Christmas holiday as recognized on the 25th of December every year is in recognition of his birth.   I think it's safe to assume that when you use the term "Christmas", readers will know that's what you're referring to.

the 1st shape

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »
Quote from: Wicked Lester
Quote from: DRLADY

Christ is obviously the reason for Christmas (you know, "Christ Mass"), and nobody sane can deny that.

You do know that Christmas is a made up day. It was the church's way of trying to sway Pagans over to Christianity.
Since there was Saturnalia , the Winter Solstice and the old sun god Mithra was to have been born on Dec. 25th. There are many things about Christmas festivities that are Pagan in origin including wreaths and giving presents.

According to many experts and based on astronomy charts of the time Christ was born in late summer.

Very true !

Btw , I guess cause no one responded to my earlier post that nobody heard of a frankenchrist model ?

DRLADY

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »
Funny story about the December 25th thing.  And by "funny", I mean "boring".
But no, really.
Laura and I went to a Christmas Eve church service with my mother and stepfather.  
People lit candles, sang carols, had communion, and all the usual stuff, which was perfetly nice.
Then the minister (who'd only been at this church for a few weeks) actually proceeded to relate something like a history lesson, during which he mentioned-- in front of a large group of Christian families, including a lot of old people, and on Christmas Eve, no less-- many of the very same things mentioned above by Wicked Lester, about how Jesus was probably really born in the summer, how the church appropriated the Dec. 25th date deliberately, and how the traditional manger scene was probably not much what the actual scene would have looked like at all.   That was all OK with me, but I was kind of alarmed for the pastor, wondering if it was such a good idea for him to say all that in the pro-Christian context of a Christmas Eve church service.  I wouldn't expect to hear such things mentioned in any church, you know?   There are some people who will think you're a terrible person if you question even the tiniest detail of church tradition,  so I was picturing this poor guy being stoned to death in the parking lot for stating, more or less, that we were all sort of gathered on the wrong night of the year with regard to commemorating Jesus' birth.
I was thinking, I might be witnessing a Career Suicide on this jolly holiday.
My elderly stepfather has trouble walking these days and finds stairs nearly impossible, so it took us some time to exit the church after the service concluded.   I got to see, to my delight and mild surprise, that the people filing out  (including the seniors) were hugging this pastor, shaking his hand and telling him what a beautiful service it had been.   Everybody seemed to be all smiles.  I ran into this same minister again at a restaurant the other day, and apparently nobody expressed anything remotely negative toward him or the church about the stuff he brought up on Christmas Eve.  I thought that was a nice little pleasant surprise, and concluded that he has a congregation of truly good folks there.   I guess it renewed my (admittedly rather dim) faith in humankind just a little.

But even now I find myself wondering: When somebody drinks so much booze that he dies of alcohol poisoning, does that qualify as getting stoned to death?

Rezman777

« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »
LOL!  Dave, it really is good having you hang in these parts.  I enjoy reading your all posts (well, maybe not all, but you know what I mean)!  This thread, especially has be wonderful.  Just goes to show that when people are treated respectfully, many topics that were once thought 'taboo' can be discussed without fear.

Regarding the true origins of the Chrismas holiday, the church I attend has made no attempts to hide these facts, but rather it just goes to show that whatever Christ toughes can be transformed into beauty.  That includes various celebrations as well as the hearts of men.

Wonderful thread, gents!

JWarren

Re:
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2009, 02:08:34 AM »
Quote from: Distortions
I've often thought what would have happened if my brothers and sisters in Christ had not condemned John Lennon after he said "The Beatles were more popular than Jesus" but gone to John in love and kindness to talk. This was around the time he wrote "Help" which he later told reporters was the cry of his heart. He was searching.......

I'm a huge Beatles fan and a collector of Beatles bootlegs so I wanted to chime in on the Lennon remarks.

The Beatles "Help!" album was released in January 1965. In a bootleg radio interview, John Lennon said that the song "Help" was written after a recording session while on LSD. He said the experience spawned the surreal lyrics of Help! which included lines as "Now I find I've changed my mind, opened up the doors" and "My independence seems to vanish in the haze." The song also was revamped by producer George Martain who felt the slow tempo it originally had wouldn't sell well commercially. The song was written at a time John felt their music was suffering due to hysteria created by their unprecedented success. He later said in the seventies the song stands up to time. "I sung about needing help at a time where everyone in the world knew my name. It was brilliant."

In March 1966 Lennon said in a London interview "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I do not know what will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity. I mean, we're bigger than Jesus now." There was no immediate public out cry as this interview was held in London. Five months later a part of the article was reprinted in the US in a magazine called Date Book. A fire storm followed with Christians and conservatives burning and steam rolling over piles of Beatles CDs, posters, books, etc.  I guess these Christians forgot to practice forgiveness their god of love teaches.

The album was released in January 1965, Jesus Quote was made in March 1966. Not a song he wrote as a cry for religious help nor any way related to the quote made after the song's release. Lennon's actual view on the whole religious out cry was "Originally I pointed out that fact (bigger than Jesus) in reference to England. That we meant more to kids than Jesus did, or religion at that time in England. I wasn't knocking it or putting it down. I was just saying it as a fact and it's true more for England than here. I'm not saying that we're better or greater, or comparing us with Jesus Christ as a person or God as a thing or whatever it is. I just said what I said and it was wrong. No, it was taken wrong. And now it's all this. I'll apologize if that will make you happy. I still don't know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do but if you want me to apologize, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry." He later said "Being thrown out of a church for laughing was the end of church for me. I haven't got any sort of dream of a physical heaven where there's lots of chocolate and pretty women in nightgowns, playing harps," he said. "I believe you can make heaven within your own mind. The kingdom of heaven is within you, Christ said, and that I believe."

DRLADY

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2009, 09:03:23 AM »
Yeah, it was a shame the way he got taken to task for one single stupid comment.   Obviously it was stupid of him to say Christianity was going to crumble, but he was still a wonderfully talented writer and a gifted musician and he really shouldn't have been so severely bludgeoned by the press for that one moment of bad judgment.  People who achieve tremendous financial success and celeb status at a young age often get a little delusional about their place in the scheme of things.   Heck, if we punished all celebrities for saying something stupid, G.W. Bush would have been gone within 15 minutes of his first attempt at a speech.

HMAEA

• Administrator
    • http://www.thehma.net
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »
Wow, who knew that a topic about religion would elicit such a response  :lol: !

In all seriousness though, I look at this thread with both excitement and trepidation. "Why be excited about such a hot-button subject, EA?" Well, many of you may not realize that I myself am a Christian who happens to love all things creepy. "But E.A., aren't Christianity and Horror mutually exclusive to one another?" I'm glad you asked! There has never been one point in my life where I considered enjoying a scary movie or monster masks being inherently evil or going against my personal faith. "But E.A., I KNOW YOU, and you're as far away from being what I consider to be a "Good Christian," as Poughkeepsie is to Papua New Guinea." I'll admit that the Church will probably not make me the poster child for Christianity anytime soon, but I consider the Christian faith as being a journey of spiritual self improvement based on faith. I have faith that my journey will lead me to an eventual destination that was promised to me by Jesus Christ.  However, even though I've been provided with a clear map to my destination, I've gone in the wrong direction numerous times, and I know it will never be smooth sailing for me. Should I be concerned that I've made too many missteps in my journey? Like anyone else, I become discouraged when I make a mistake, but I have to remind myself that if I do go down the wrong road, I just have to turn myself around and get back on the right path.

"If you have such strong faith E.A., why would you look at this thread with trepidation?" I've cautiously approached this topic because I realize the HMA is made up of folks from all different walks of life, and I respect the right of our members to not have to worry about having to share the same religious or political beliefs. I also respect the right of our members to not have to wear their religious or political beliefs on their sleeves. We have a wonderful community of folks here that have been bound together by our love of masks and monsters. I believe that I have 2 jobs at the HMA. My first job is to provide a fun and safe place for anyone and everyone to be a part of. My second job, as a Christian, is to take care of my fellow man and always be available for anyone in need of guidance or comfort. Again, I may not be the best navigator, but I'm more than willing to share my map with you.

Take care,

E.A.

John Denley

• http://www.paranormalheadquarters.com
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »
Anybody doing any good Budha busts? LOL!!! Just trying to start trouble....:)
PS. At least after reading all this, we have uncovered that Scott is god. This might be good for some of us who are trading buddies!!!;)
Professor Nightmare is on the prowl for collector\'s masks and props!

Josh

« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
So we're opening this can of worms yet again.  I figured after the 2nd time it was locked it would just go away.  But I guess, much like the subject to which it pertains, this thread just will not die.

DRLADY

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »
Kudos to you, E.A.  , for your intelligent and well-written post above.
But like Josh, I wonder: Why was this thread unlocked after you had done such a fine job of capping it off?

HMAEA

• Administrator
    • http://www.thehma.net
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »
I went back and forth on locking then unlocking this thread, after I had made my post. I just wanted to make sure anyone who was interested, had an opportunity to post their thoughts. I now think everyone has been given ample time to have their say, and it is now time to lock the thread.

Take care,

E.A.