Author Topic: "The unofficial" DON POST SKULL THREAD  (Read 20370 times)

Robert W

"The unofficial" DON POST SKULL THREAD
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
Here's my latex skull. Definitely on the small size.

Crimson Ghost

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 07:08:03 PM »
Very cool, what is the date on the back? 1967/????

The Maskahuna

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »
'Great images and research, CrimsonGhost.
'Really cuts to the heart of the matter!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:41:24 PM by The Maskahuna »

Robert W

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 08:08:18 PM »
Quote from: Crimson Ghost;300886
Very cool, what is the date on the back? 1967/????

Yes. It's got the 1967 DPS stamp on the back.

Was also wondering why did DPS go with this relatively thin casting for the later models? Economy?

lblambert

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
Great thread Rudy! You've really pulled a lot of data together and provided an excellent resource.

GeorgeL

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »
awesome pics!!! Love the first ones with all the skulls. Doesnt get any better than that!!!! Great information! I'll keep coming back to this one!

Crimson Ghost

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 01:25:43 AM »
Maskahuna, what is that pic from, it's hilarious!
Robert, I always wondered that.. did they sell so many vinyls that the sales slowed down and they went to latex just to keep it in the line up?
LBLambert, thank you! I just was out tonight with EYES and PETE from Devils Workshop, and was telling them I hoped the reaction wasn't "oh no, not more skull talk" but so far so good, I wanted this thread to stand above the rest if possible.

Thanks again guys. There is more to be added when people start to chime in!

THANKS GEORGE!

kaizu13

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 03:04:35 AM »
Incredible article!
Thanks for sharing:-|

Doh!

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 03:23:40 AM »
Love the article.  I own a 1967/76 vinyl myself.
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Crimson Ghost

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 03:33:25 AM »
Thanks! Ur very welcome!
I just edited the first section of the thread, I have been searching through my old computer for a very rare photo and found it! Check it out. It's near the top.

Arcane

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 09:06:02 AM »
Captivating post Crimson Ghost! Thanks for taking the time to compile all the great info and such excellent pics!

CreepingDead

• http://www.monster-mayhem.com
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 09:43:11 AM »
These might have been addressed, I just did a quick skim of the replies -

This is NOT the skull mask -

That's a prop skull that Don Post used to make. Legend has it that Bob Short used one in his BC Mummy sculpture.

The "brown" skulls that are tan-ish color on the inside and the Vermillion Skulls are indeed vinyl. Vinyl can go bad over time. The chemicals can leech out over the years leaving them hard and brittle.

The black vinyl Skulls didn't come out until the 70s when the glow ones came out. You can't go by the 1967 date on them.

Crimson Ghost

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
Is this the "human skull" by Ellis Burman Sr. that was sold to Disney? It has amazingly similar characteristics to Pat Newman's sculpt in regards to the cracks in the cheeks, missing teeth, and even the two tiny divots/holes in the chin area of the mandible that can be seen in some DP skulls. Do any of these props exist today?

There has been a lot of past discussion regarding this "early mixture" on the skulls and I am waiting for some more info from Rob and Cathy Tharp regarding this if the plasticine/latex mixture was used.. I have old skulls that look a hundred years old and the vinyl feels nothing like these.. its strange stuff in my opinion. I surly honor your opinions on these subjects, you tend to be a DP expert in many areas..I'm just trying to get the answers/terms etc. from several sources then I will edit any info I wrote.  

Aaron, did early skulls come in a box? I recently read a old Worthpoint auction description and it described a vintage 60's Don Post skull mask in a original box but of course had no photos attached with it. I wish it had the darn photos.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:04:09 AM by Crimson Ghost »

vader45

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
Thanks for the thread and amazing info here, loved reading it. I agree on that skull photo. The light hitting on it suggest very 3d teeth and not just simply having the middle material cut out. I would guess that Pat Newman used it heavily for reference. Ok I can't press enter to move the curser down and its annoying me.....two posts will have to due.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:10:58 AM by vader45 »

vader45

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
Here is my Don Post Skull. I scored this off of Ebay for $400. Yes I won it in an auction after a bid war for $400. The copy right date is 1967 and it is in the Black Vinyl. Its in very well condition. Its not the stark white Skulls seen in the 80's. The tint of white is off and a bit dirty. Its a non glow. Im not sure exactly when it was made so Im hoping to find out. But Im guessing its the early 70's before the new copyright dates of '77 and '76.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:20:18 AM by vader45 »