Author Topic: Foam fill a vinyl mask?  (Read 688 times)

faust77

Foam fill a vinyl mask?
« on: November 21, 2015, 12:28:26 PM »
I have a really beat up old carlisle that I would like to foam fill for a display. The mask is vinyl, does the normal foam adhere to the vinyl the same way it does with latex?

The Maskahuna

Re: Foam fill a vinyl mask?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
does the normal foam adhere to the vinyl the same way it does with latex?

It depends on what you mean by "normal foam". I don't recall ever seeing a poly-foamed
vinyl mask. Poly-foam sticks to latex, sort of ... other foams create their own skin and
don't adhere as well. What's more critical is that the sealing tape sticks to the inside.
All openings have to be hermetically sealed prior to the foam going in. Vinyl has a very
slick surface and repels all but the stickiest tape.

raycastile

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 02:22:46 AM »
Won't vinyl break down the foam?

faust77

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 12:14:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. I've had some luck w this but it was very labor intensive. Probably not what your supposed to do but I feel it worked. Step one was forming the mask. The Carlisle was stored in what must have been a box, he was extremely flattened. So what I did was take some packing tape which was really sticky, sticky enough to adhere to the inside of the vinyl mask. I began at the top of the head and made a Criss cross (sp?) pattern with doubled up tape. This stiffened the form. I repeated this for what seemed like an eternity slowly bringing to life his original shape. I packed the voids like the nose and brow w paper towel and entombed them with more tape. Step two was to take very wide masking tape and add another layer on TOP of the packing tape. I did this because I thought that the foam would stick better to the masking tape cause it had some texture and wasn't slick. Picture almost like building a reverse mummy. At this point the mask was able to stand on its own and look as Carlisle should. Then I put the whole mask upside down in a milk crate and foam filled it. I didn't touch it in the process almost like filling a bucket w foam. I think my garage was a little chilly because the foam only rose half way despite me thinking I had mixed enough. Sadly I ran out of foam! But to my delight it filled the mask very nicely. I can hold it like a basketball with no give. I will post a picture later on. Again this was just an experiment and I wasn't going to be upset because of how poor his condition was. But I'm happy with the way it turned out for a display.