Author Topic: Removing hair from a mass produced latex mask  (Read 591 times)

Gory Glenn

Removing hair from a mass produced latex mask
« on: March 14, 2016, 05:35:13 PM »
I was hoping someone could offer some advise on removing hair from a mass produced latex mask. It's glued on, not punched. I found a video online on how to apply hair but couldn't find anything on removing old hair first. The most info I could find suggested using a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue and remove the hair. Then they suggested an adhesive remover to get rid of any remaining glue. This is a zombie mask with sparse hair so the scalp is painted and has detail that shows through the hair so what ever method I use the scalp needs to remain clean and undamaged after the hair is removed. Any advise on the best way to do this would be appreciated. Thanks!

nowonmai

Re: Removing hair from a mass produced latex mask
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 11:28:43 PM »
It really depends on the type of glue that was used. Is the mask in question the TOTS Deer Walker you recently acquired?

Gory Glenn

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:42:25 AM »
It really depends on the type of glue that was used. Is the mask in question the TOTS Deer Walker you recently acquired?

Yes. Looks like I won't be needing to do it for this particular mask as TOTS is replacing it. I posted about it here.

http://www.thehma.net/forum/index.php?topic=46181.0

Would still be interested to know how to do it but like you said it depends on the type of glue used. I've seen videos of artists using good old rubber contact cement to apply hair but I'm not sure if that's what companies that mass produce use.

NOMAD

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 02:50:18 AM »
If the glue is yellowish it's most likely contact cement or barge. Try xylene or naphtha maybe 99% alcohol if you're lucky.
Why blow bubbles, unless your going to burst them?
http://nomad-11.deviantart.com/gallery/