Author Topic: Building clay wall - WED clay sculpture  (Read 613 times)

JeffAllen01

Building clay wall - WED clay sculpture
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:21 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm working on completing this sculpture by the end of the week. I would like to mold it this weekend. It's pretty heavy. I'm concerned about laying the sculpture on its back to mold it because of the hump (even if I lay it on foam padding). I have no problem molding it upright like this, but normally I would prefer to mold the back first. I'm just concerned with the fragile ears that I might either damage them, or my clay wall will mar some of the detail on the front half. I can mold the front first, of course, but then there is the issue of gravity and getting plaster in all the crevices. It can be done, but it's much easier if the back half is laying down. If I can mold the back first, I can then lay it down once the plaster sets and mold the front half.

There is no right or wrong way to go about this. I just wanted to put it out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. I don't want to screw up the sculpture.

Thanks,

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:52:56 PM by JeffAllen01 »

renders

Re: Building clay wall - WED clay sculpture
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:54:04 PM »
Hi Jeff, first off - amazing sculpt sir!
I personally always have a hell of a time running plaster on a 2 part mold while its upright, every time - so I certainly respect your preference. If you do keep it upright you may want that a spare cheap plastic airbrush handy to ensure your spreading the first coat on all the details and crevices opposite of gravity's tendency with plaster to drip down with a quickness.

Perhaps with foam padding and an assistant you may have some luck tilting it back and being very delicate with it rest on on a foam pad. With such a beautiful sculpt whatever careful effort is required for your comfort to make the best mold, may be the best path.

Please post your mold though no matter your choice, this is a very nice piece - wish you well on its mold!

JeffAllen01

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:09 AM »
Thank you for the response, and my apologies for the very delayed response. I did have issues with the mold, as expected. Even with three layers of Crystal Clear, my white clay still stuck to the clay and it was a pain in the butt to carefully remove from the clay and it stuck to the plaster as well. I also dinged the sculpture in a few places. The seamline was terrible, and a piece of plaster broke off. So I repaired the broken piece and just figured I would do some patching on the latex mask. The first casting was a mess, and that was my fault for pulling out the latex mask too soon. For my second casting, I am thinking of permanently putting the molds together by strapping them and then filling in the gap where the seam is with white hydrocal. The neck is wide enough that I should be able to just pull the mask out with no issues. That will resolve the gap between the seamline. Everything else looked good. The detail on the face was all captured and no air bubbles or anything.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Jeff

Coldsnakevenom

• http://www.facebook.com/coldsnakevenom
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 07:35:37 AM »
Great sculpt man! Since the back half of the sculpt has some raised humps I think you could definitely lay plaster on the back without too much of it running down the sculpt. 

rpodmore

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »
Spray Endust over your Crustal Clear to keep the clay from sticking.  the clay comes right out when I do this.

NOMAD

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 01:07:54 AM »
Very nice sculpt! I realize you've already moulded this, but as I'm sure you'll be doing it again.......  It looks like you have a piece of threaded pipe in your core. Build a base with a side facing pipe flange or put it in a vice to hold it in place while walling it up.
Why blow bubbles, unless your going to burst them?
http://nomad-11.deviantart.com/gallery/