Author Topic: First Time Sculpting a Mask... Any Advice?  (Read 441 times)

ChakorChanning

First Time Sculpting a Mask... Any Advice?
« on: August 26, 2016, 04:05:04 PM »
So for a while I've been thinking about sculpting a master mold for a mask of my own, but have never really gotten around to it because I know so very little about the long process of sculpting a mask/bust and everything else that is involved to create the finished piece.  To be specific, the creature I'm thinking of sculpting is the wing monster/gremlin from the Twilight Zone movie, since no one else has ever done a mass-produced mask or bust of the creature.  I have a 1/6 scale model kit of the creature and will use that as most of my reference for the sculpture should anything ever become of it.  Screenshots of the creature in the film are attached below so you get a better idea of what would be involved with this project.

For now I am thinking of using Monster Clay for the master mold.  I'm still not sure what I would/should use for paint and what I should use for the hair/dreadlocks.

Any advice from professional sculptors here is appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:11:25 PM by ChakorChanning »

rpodmore

Re: First Time Sculpting a Mask... Any Advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
Stan Winston Character Arts School has some great videos on mask making. 

ChakorChanning

Re: First Time Sculpting a Mask... Any Advice?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:30:29 PM »
I checked out a lot of the Stan Winston school videos, and even though I haven't started any mask projects of my own yet, I found most of the videos very helpful.  It also figures that on the day that I originally posted this thread, I learned that Darb Designz is working on a mask of the Twilight Zone gremlin.  ;D