Author Topic: Boris Karloff Frankenstein Bust  (Read 912 times)

FRANKENSTEIN

Boris Karloff Frankenstein Bust
« on: November 21, 2016, 01:18:28 AM »
Hello Guys…I wanted to share a few photos of my latest Boris Karloff Frankenstein Bust. It is a character that I have loved since I was a young. I first fell in love with the Frankenstein Films on our local TV Horror Show called Creature Features. It was on Saturday Nights here in the Chicago area. 

Later, I came upon the original Don Post Karloff Frankenstein mask featured in the issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland Magazines. It became my personal quest to get a real Frankenstein Mask of my very own. My first in-person exposure to the classic Don Post Frankenstein mask was at the Old Chicago Amusement Park in Bolingbrook, Illinois. It was the first all indoor large amusement park. This was probably in the early 1970’s. The park had many cool shops but my favorite was a large magic shop owned by Magician and “Wizzo the Wizard” from the Bozo TV show - Marshall Brodien. Marshall had an incredible store filled with the most beautiful copies of all the Don Post Classics. They were all incredibly painted and haired with eye inserts and many of the busts were on varnished wooden display stands. I believe these were special prototypes to promote the original Don Post Classic Monster line. Those masks to this day are the finest copies that I have ever seen!

Unfortunately it was a difficult task to get my dad to buy one of those treasures back in those days. Since that time I have always loved the Frankenstein Monster and have always been on a quest to get my dream Frankenstein Bust. 

This brings us to my latest addition of Boris Karloff as the Monster. It was sculpted by Dan Thompson under the direction of the late great Henry Alvarez. The bust is made of resin and foam filled. I obtained the highest quality glass eyes with actual fiber veining in dark green from Tech Optics. This Frankenstein bust was beautifully hand painted and haired by the incredible artist Jim Lawrence.  I am very pleased with the outcome of this piece. I went with a pale green coloring as that is what I believed was the color of the original monster based on old FM articles and the rare color film footage of Karloff and Jack Pierce from 1939 Son of Frankenstein.

Thank you for taking the time to check the photos!  I really appreciate it!

John

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 02:00:14 AM by FRANKENSTEIN »

Gory Glenn

Re: Boris Karloff Frankenstein Bust
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:11:26 AM »
Well FRANKENSTEIN you're not alone in your love for the monster. This is one of the nicest busts I've ever seen of Frankenstein's Monster. The detail is incredible. Any Frankie fan would be proud to own this beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the HMA FRANKENSTEIN.  :)

ChakorChanning

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »
That looks incredible!  Thanks for sharing those pics, FRANKENSTEIN. ;)

Kidagain

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
You have one fantastic looking Karloff Frank bust.I didn't know Dan did a Karloff Frank bust but you learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing this great pick up and welcome to the wonderful world of the HMA.

FRANKENSTEIN

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 02:53:49 AM »
Thanks so much for all the kind words on the Frankenstein bust. I greatly appreciate them all! Sorry to be so slow in responding. I have been out of town and did not have internet access.  I thought that I would include the link to Rob Cametti. He is offering this Alvarez/Thompson bust for sale currently in resin. I thought others might like to add one to their collection. It is really a great piece. He is delivered foam-filled but is missing the neck bolts. Thanks again guys for the nice comments!  :D

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MucklebonesLLC/photos/?tab=album&album_id=519503534891084

Doh!

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 03:21:15 AM »
Sweet Frank!
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

renders

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 11:01:44 AM »
This is an amazing piece of art with a truly high pedigree of artists involved -   Dan Thompson guided by Henry Alvarez,  hand painted and haired by  Jim Lawrence - outstanding artistry with attention to detail and care with the selected eyes.
This is the best Frankenstein's Monster bust I believe I have ever seen, amazing share FRANKENSTEIN, treasure it!

FRANKENSTEIN

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 04:00:26 PM »
Thanks “Renders” for your kind words on Frankie…I truly appreciate yours and everyone's nice feedback! The work of all these great artists is truly amazing. This has been one of my dream busts for such a long time.  The first time I saw him was in a picture Henry Alvarez sent to me years ago of his full-figure Karloff Frankenstein in wax. I had been in love with this bust it ever since. It would be interesting to see this bust done in high-quality silicone.  Maybe sometime in the future –  ;)

XtcofPain

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 10:17:35 AM »
Looks great. Gotta love Frankie!!!

Klung1

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.klung1.com
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 05:38:54 PM »
That is a world class bust! So many talented people represented. Congrats.
They're dead. They're all messed up.
NOTLD '68

FRANKENSTEIN

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
Thanks guys for all the nice comments - I really appreciate it!  :)