Author Topic: TOTS Halloween III Witch Repaint  (Read 320 times)

ChakorChanning

TOTS Halloween III Witch Repaint
« on: November 30, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »
As with my repaint of the TOTS pumpkin, I will update this thread with more pics of my repaint of the witch mask as it nears completion.  Not only am I repainting the witch, but I am also planning on making her a completely new hood as well (hence why I have this thread under the "Independent Artist Projects" board).

Here is what the witch looks like direct from the TOTS factory.  The paint on her is nice, but it's rather mediocre compared to the paint on the original 1982/83 Don Post masks.  For one thing, the green is way too bright, the warts should be brown and not black, and the tongue is a very dark and drab red.

After about an hour or so of work and two and a half coats of green, most of that is fixed.  I couldn't find any green paints that were the exact color that I needed, so I had to mix a bright dayglo green paint with a darker non-dayglo green paint.  I also painted the warts brown and painted the tongue a bright red.  The end result is quite nice looking, although it's definitely not finished yet.

Thanks for looking,
Chakor Channing

Kidagain

Re: TOTS Halloween III Witch Repaint
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:43:52 PM »
Keep up the beautiful paint jobs Chakor, you take something that looks good and you make it even better.

ChakorChanning

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 04:53:28 PM »
Thanks Kidagain!  Much appreciated.  ;)

ChakorChanning

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:24:38 AM »
Here is a pic of the witch after the third coat of green and having dried for a few days.  I'm going to add another coat today and I will post more pics once it has dried.

ChakorChanning

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 04:19:31 PM »
Here is what the witch looks like after the fourth coat of green.  I'm still having a bit of trouble covering up the tiny areas where the factory paint is exposed, but every coat gets it more solid-looking.  I also added some more red to the tongue, which means I will now have to add more white to the teeth as the red always bleeds onto the teeth.  I've also been putting some more finishing touches on the pumpkin, as the black paint around the edges of the lid is rather difficult to perfect.

ChakorChanning

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:34:44 PM »
Here is what the witch looks like under blacklight.  My apologies since it's a tad bit blurry, as this is the first time that I've actually photographed this under blacklight.

Also, here is the pumpkin under blacklight.