Author Topic: Custom Halloween III Masks  (Read 298 times)

ChakorChanning

Custom Halloween III Masks
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
For a little while now, I've been working on retooling my Trick or Treat Studios Halloween III: Season of the Witch pumpkin and witch masks to look more accurate to the film. 

I repainted the pumpkin with dayglo orange and dayglo green for the stem.  I also added some black to the ridges of the lid.  Painting the edges of the eyes, nose, and mouth orange was rather difficult because it was painting orange over black.  Even after five coats of orange, you can see that there's still some black bleeding. 

For the witch, I repainted her dayglo green, as the original paint from the TOTS factory was a little too bright IMO.  I also painted the warts brown like the originals.  The tongue was painted a rather odd and dark red color, so I fixed that by painting it dayglo red.  I still need to clean up the white on the teeth and add some gloss to the tongue, as the originals had gloss.  I also made a completely new hood, as the original TOTS hood was forest green and not blue.  I always looked at the hoods of the originals in the film as being navy blue, so I took an old bathrobe and retooled it into a new hood for the witch.

For the skull, all I did was buy the TOTS skull and remove the hang tags.  It already has a fair amount of detail and is extremely accurate to the original Don Post vinyl skulls.  Although some of the skulls used in the film were painted with glow-in-the-dark pigments, the TOTS skull does not glow.  I'm told that there was a mix of both glow and non-glow skulls used in the film, so not being painted with glow pigments isn't a downer for me.

Here are the Silver Shamrock Novelties computer chips on the back of each mask. I hot-glued the SSN chip from the witch's original hood to the new hood.

Thanks for looking,
Chakor Channing

Kidagain

Re: Custom Halloween III Masks
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:44:59 PM »
Great looking trio, anyone would be proud to own those babies.

ChakorChanning

Re: Custom Halloween III Masks
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »
Thanks Kidagain!

I finished adding more white to the teeth of the witch (still need to find some gloss paint though) and I decided to bring out my 2012 Don Post H3 trio.  It's like a scene from the Silver Shamrock factory in the living room!  Here are some comparative shots.  Night and day difference in terms of quality and paint. ;)

Pumpkin - 2012 DP vs. TOTS repaint

Skull - 2012 DP vs. TOTS

Witch - 2012 DP vs. TOTS repaint w/ custom hood