Author Topic: My Diablo mask  (Read 186 times)

dylanthomas

My Diablo mask
« on: January 26, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »
This is my oldest mask that I still currently produce called "Diablo". I sculpted it in late 2012, right before I graduated from The Art Institute of Pittsburgh.

I started the sculpture with no real design in mind. However, I knew I wanted it to be some kind of alien demon...an unusual concept but growing up in the 90's, video games like Doom and Quake had a huge influence on my growing imagination.

After the head was sculpted, it took me some time to decide how I wanted the horns to look. I eventually chose to make the horns stick out from the sides horizontals with a slight downward curve, for no other reason because it felt the most balanced with the character and seemed to read well with the eye.

Now, this mask actually went through a first set of horns that were very sloppy and bad looking in my opinion. This is because at this point in time, my portfolio review was coming up and I wanted to have this mask to present at the showing. So I wiped up a hastily set of sculpted horns and got them molded and cast for my mask, promising to myself I'd make a much better set of horns for it in the future...( it would inevitably take me 3 1/2 years until I finally got around to doing so)

This mask remains one of my top selling masks today and is available on my website http://www.d-formations.com/masks/diablo

Also the one on there right now is on sale for 10% off and ready to ship. First come first serve, so don't wait.

Thanks for reading everyone, I plan on discussing more of my masks and my journey into mask making in future posts!

With the old horns and the sculpture

ChakorChanning

Re: My Diablo mask
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 01:56:20 PM »
That looks awesome Dylan! ;)

Kidagain

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »
Three thumbs up for you Dylan.

Doh!

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:23:29 AM »