Author Topic: Every once in a while...  (Read 351 times)

Gory Glenn

Every once in a while...
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:30:31 PM »
...you find that mask, your grail if you will that you've always wanted but thought you'd never get. Well it's happened a second time for me recently. When I first started collecting masks my biggest inspiration was Dr. Lady's videos and I'm sure I'm not alone. His videos taught me about mask collecting, how to display them and a whole bunch of other important mask tid-bits. I was fascinated by the masks on the shelves behind him. Especially the Christopher Lee Frankenstein's Monster and Mummy masks as seen to Dr. Lady's right.

These were not mass produced masks but incredible limited pieces sculpted by Laura Lady's sister Carol Hicks. Here's the original flyer used to promote this mask.

Back In September 2015 I was lucky enough to score the Christopher Lee Frankenstein's Monster from fellow mask collector and author of the "The Illustrated History of Don Post Studios" Lee Lambert. I posted about it here. http://www.thehma.net/forum/index.php?topic=45952.0

So it was my mission to somehow find a copy of the Chris Lee Mummy. I really didn't think I'd find one being they were limited to around 20 pieces but then recently I found a blank of this cool mask on eBay. You know how that goes no guarantee I'd get it but thankfully it was meant to be. Here's the sellers pic of it who just happened to be one of the publishers of Headhunters Quarterly.

So from there it was off to David Lady's Horror Hotel so David could work his magic on Chris and make Carol's sculpt come alive. I think he did a fantastic job! The likeness is really incredible.

And here he is along side Carol's Christopher Lee Frankenstein's Monster from "The Curse of Frankenstein". These are two of my favorite pieces.

And by popular request Dr. Lady did a video on this piece for those that would like to know more.

Thanks for looking my mask loving friends!  :)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:44:59 PM by Gory Glenn »

Kidagain

Re: Every once in a while...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Fantastic pick up Glenn,I remember that blank Lee Mummy pull on ebay and i'm glad your the one that got it.David, as always did a great job on this baby so congrats buddy and thanks for showing it to us.

Gory Glenn

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 08:42:25 PM »
Thanks Kidagain! Appreciate the kind words.  :)

The Maskahuna

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:16:46 PM »
It's the root of all obsession: those mysterious things in the background
that we see over and over again ...
'Fun score and presentation, GoryGlenn. I always enjoy posts featuring
masks with their original "paperwork".

Gory Glenn

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:43:31 PM »
Thanks Maskahuna! I take that as a big compliment coming from you!

Doh!

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 04:33:57 AM »
Congrats on the score, Glenn! And what a wonderful finish to it.
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Gory Glenn

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 09:01:45 PM »
Thanks much Doh! It is a great paint job. Dr. Lady is a bit humble about it in the video he did on this mask.

buzzminton

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 08:06:15 PM »
Dr. Lady definitely did a great job on this one, congrats Glenn!

Gory Glenn

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 12:48:27 PM »
Thanks buzzminton! Appreciate it.