Author Topic: Head Hunters Hideaway  (Read 569 times)

Pete-I

• http://www.devils-workshop.com
Head Hunters Hideaway
« on: February 26, 2017, 10:41:06 PM »
I've been meaning to post pics of my updated monster room for quite some time now. I remolded my basement back in the Summer of 2015. The main goals included building a proper space for my mask collection as well as building a bar. Here is a shot of the main mask display. I built a large wooden shelf with crown molding and glass shelves. There are a dedicated set of track lighting for the display...

Here are a few close-ups of the masks on these shelves...

I'll save some more close-ups for the new Collector Corner thread  ;)

In the opposite corner of the room is a display case surrounded by several oversized masks...

Perched at the back-bar is the "HeadHunters Hideaway" display box that I built to formally title the room. The box featured graphics that I designed and screen printed onto the wood. I also distressed the paint to give it a nice vintage feel. The box contains three Don Post Studios severed heads that I custom painted...

There are a few more masks and mask related items that aren't pictured here as well as a 1970 Stern Dracula Pinball machine that live in the space. I'll post more pics as the week goes on.

On a side note, I took all these pics with my phone, uploaded them to Flickr using the app. It was super easy. Hopefully folks will find the process more streamlined and encourage more posting. Thanks to Josh for posting instructions on the process.

The Maskahuna

Re: Head Hunters Hideaway
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:44:00 AM »
'Outstanding, Pete! Thanks for this privileged preview of your mask art museum.

GeorgeL

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
fantasic shots Pete!

I love the cabinet and signage you made. Nothing more rewarding than custom building your own space and displays. Great selection of heads as well! I think my favorite might be that Dorian! I was gonna suggest adding some recessed lights in the top of the cabinet but then I read you have the track lighting already.

You cant have a monster space without a watering hole either! Would love to see some pics of the bar.

MonsterMatt

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 08:36:39 PM »
Looks fantastic Pete!!!  Thanks so much for sharing!!

stretchbaldy

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 02:03:49 AM »
Pete,

That looks like a space I would enjoy coming home to after work! I love your style. The custom mask case is fantastic and I love the custom screen printed wood piece! Killer! Your mask selection is outstanding as well. Especially love those Nightowl pieces and the Metaluna! All of those masks display nicely together! Thanks for the peek inside your monster cave!

-G

Doh!

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 03:02:37 AM »
Wonderful collection -- nicely displayed, too!
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

HMAEA

• Administrator
    • http://www.thehma.net
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »

Really sharp, Pete! I hope to visit someday.

E.

Gory Glenn

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 11:28:11 AM »
Wow Pete!, just Wow! I would expect nothing less from you. Not only are you a great mask maker, you are a great artistic talent in general. Beautiful display and I love the mixture of old, new and custom. Your twin girls must be around a year old now. Congrats! It's good to see you back posting again.

Pete-I

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 10:26:02 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys, it's much appreciated!

You cant have a monster space without a watering hole either! Would love to see some pics of the bar.

Hey George, here are a few pics of the bar. I built the entire thing, right down to pouring the concrete bar tops myself...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:30:38 PM by Pete-I »

Pete-I

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 10:28:05 PM »
Really sharp, Pete! I hope to visit someday.
E.

Eric, it would be great to have you over for a few cocktails the next you find yourself in Chicago!

Gory Glenn

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »
Incredible bar Pete! Off the charts!

lblambert

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 01:10:44 PM »
I really need to leave a day early for MF and come visit on the way down. I always fly through Chicago but I never get to leave the airport.

GeorgeL

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 01:33:09 PM »
Ok, maybe you and I can go into the Monster Room makeover business???? HAHAHA

Dude, that bar is absolutely killer!!!! I wouldnt leave the stool man. So awesome. Bravo for a perfect job.

I have my bar space planned. Gonna have a 90 Gal. salt water tank built into the wall. Everything is framed. You just motivated me to finish!!!!

stretchbaldy

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 01:01:14 AM »
Amazing Pete! Jeez... after looking at yours and George's display rooms.. I feel like a complete slacker! Such nice craftsmanship on both your parts. Just awesome! Well done.

Your joint has a Disneyland vibe that I just love.

Josh

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 07:32:28 AM »
Damn, your set up is INSANE Pete. Thats gotta be the best over all room concept for a mask room I've ever seen. that Headhunter box is incredible. Also, whats up with that metal display case? Did you make that or was it a lucky find?

(also, a few of those bottles look a little full, if you ever need a hand with that...)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:08:48 PM by Josh »