Author Topic: Favorite HMA memories / moments  (Read 370 times)

Josh

Favorite HMA memories / moments
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
As we prepare to close up the HMA forever I thought it might be fun to reminisce about the fun we've had.

I'll start: I loved Mike's (PrinceofDarkness) long, text heavy convention posts, like this one:

http://www.thehma.net/forum/index.php?topic=31730.msg221396#msg221396

His posts had a palpable enthusiasm that I really enjoyed. Like a few others he sold off most of his collection and got out of collecting years ago. I think the veteran forum members will agree that his presence is missed.

The Maskahuna

Re: Favorite HMA memories / moments
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »
'Great topic, Josh.
PoD was quite a character. He had talked of writing a book about Post Studios masks,
guaranteeing 800 pages! I had doubts as to whether he could ever pull that off
but he did compose an epic article on the subject once. His blog-page is long gone now
but I recall raving over it on another message board. 'Can't recall if he ever posted a
link here.
Back in 2008, a bunch of us welcomed him in from Canada
during one of his frequent visits to the States ~

maniac cop 5

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 02:39:30 PM »
I remember meeting him in Chicago at Aaron's house back in 2007 (I think).
What a character!

Josh

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »
I never met him in person, but one Chirstmas he sent me a PM to ask what my favorite monster was and my address. I told him Frankenstein and a little while later I received, in the mail, a framed print of Boris as Frankenstein. He said that he didn't have much family and that his fellow collectors were like a family to him. Really neat guy.

Josh

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:34:59 AM »
One of my favorite memories of the HMA is the Topstone thread. I started that thread in '07 looking for info on who was still making what Topstones and it ended up taking on a life of its own. At that time there was no information at all about Topstones on the internet, it was all in the heads of experts like Darrell Vidaurri, Justin Mabry, George Ligouri. Over the next several months there was a renewed interest in Topstone masks and that thread was over 20 pages by the end of the year. It was a lot of fun learning the history of those masks and how a few dedicated masks enthusiasts rescued them from oblivion.

http://www.thehma.net/forum/index.php?topic=31991.0

The Maskahuna

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:37:08 AM »
If we combined the view/reply count of every other popular thread
around here, it still wouldn't equal your Topstone post.

vxx

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:28:21 AM »
For me it was when those guys who had all the Topstone masters & molds posted an ad here for someone to come & get them. And then George heading on over & loading up his truck. A historical moment in the mask collecting world. Also getting the photos from George of the masters all laid out at his house. It was unbelievable! Still is.  :)

GeorgeL

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »
thanks VXX. I still vividly remember seeing that post in the classifieds and reading "danbury, CT". I hopped in my truck and took a 3 hour lunch, a 3 hour lunch. Haha. It was only a 25 minute ride but I spent 2 hours going through everything. Best part was getting it all for free. Worst part was leaving about 100+ original molds since I couldnt fit anything more in my truck and emailing back 5 days later to find they hired a couple "amigos" to toss them all out in a dumpster. I was devastated. I still to this day kick myself in the ass for not keeping them all. I'm very happy with how I dispersed them but would much rather have them all in one place. Someone out there bought a decent amount of them from me that chooses to remain in the shadows. I still have a record of their ebay name but they wont answer any of my messages. If you're out there scooby, send me a message! :-)

GeorgeL

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »
I have a lot more photos of those masters all laid out in the attic of my first house. I will eventually dig them up and post them. Its amazing how much digital data one collects after 18 years isn't it?

Josh

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 07:58:30 AM »
Another of my favorite threads, Maskahuna's 2015  Don-Con review

http://www.thehma.net/forum/index.php?topic=46037.0

Gory Glenn

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
Another of my favorite threads, Maskahuna's 2015  Don-Con review

http://www.thehma.net/forum/index.php?topic=46037.0

Yes! I need to download 'huna's pics of this event to compliment my own. The most fun I've had in years and a wonderful opportunity to meet some of you crazy mask collectors and artists. Too bad it was a one time deal.

WayneDoodle

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 02:24:44 PM »
It's going to sad not having an internet home to talk to family of mask fans. 
Waynedoodle

Doh!

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 01:54:35 AM »
Yes! I need to download 'huna's pics of this event to compliment my own. The most fun I've had in years and a wonderful opportunity to meet some of you crazy mask collectors and artists. Too bad it was a one time deal.

Amen, Glenn! I feel quite fortunate that I was able to attend.
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker