Author Topic: Start archiving and saving any photos, etc., from the forums.  (Read 383 times)

HMAEA

• Administrator
    • http://www.thehma.net
Start archiving and saving any photos, etc., from the forums.
« on: December 18, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »

The HMA has run its course and (social media has killed the forum star). The HMA will remain open through the end of January, but I will then be closing the doors. We've had a good run - basically 20 years, but the time has come to say goodbye. Yes, I could always start a FB group for THEHMA, but it would be just another in a sea of dozens upon dozens of groups "dedicated" to masks.

At any rate, you can always enjoy The HMA experience through MASK-FEST!

Take care.

E.

Kidagain

Re: Start archiving and saving any photos, etc., from the forums.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
Sad to hear,but the writing was on the wall. Anyone who loves masks and the like are welcome to join the Universal Monster Army website that has many mask collectors and much more for the horror aficionado!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:02:35 PM by Kidagain »

Gory Glenn

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »
Sorry to hear this as well. It's been a nice run. I think I'll miss Maskahuna's mask history posts the most. With this and the absence of Dr. Lady the mask collecting landscape has certainly changed. As Eric mentioned the mask collecting community is very alive and well on Facebook so if you've been resistant to that you are missing out. R.I.P. HMA.NET. You will be missed.  :'(

jupiter2

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:39:49 PM »
I'm very sad to hear this news as well.

The Maskahuna

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 04:04:49 PM »
Well, no one can fault EA his decision. We all know who's really
responsible for The HMA's demise: non-participants.
I've had a fantastic time here, scaring you with pics of scary masks
and sharing my long experience in the hobby. Feel free to save any
images from my posts and re-use them as you wish. However, if
you repost one on another forum and there's an error in your caption,
I reserve the right to correct you!  ::)

prestonjjrtr

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »
I'm incredibly sorry to hear this since the wealth of valuable information presented here is the best on the web and the contributors have been fantastic !  I would be willing to help keep the site if we could both in time and financially.  Many other members may be willing to contribute as well.

Rezman777

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
I've made some life-long friends at this site.  Very, very sad news.

Doh!

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 02:16:22 AM »
Now I has a sad...

Truly sorry to see this place shut down; was always the top of my forum list to read and post into. Met some of you guys in person -- great bunch here. Too bad we didn't get more traffic. I have to wonder if the younger crowd just doesn't enjoy monsters like we do. I'm in my 50s so have enjoyed a good run of Don Post masks (and others) firsthand. And even then, there's older stuff out there I wasn't even aware of until I saw it posted here. A big THANK YOU to all involved!!

I don't do Facebook, so see you at Monsterpalooza...
--Doh!
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Gory Glenn

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »
...I have to wonder if the younger crowd just doesn't enjoy monsters like we do...I don't do Facebook...

Not to sound like a broken record but attendance is down here because everyone has abandoned forums like this in favor of Facebook. Personally I prefer forums like this but since it is what it is I opt to stay in touch with mask collectors regardless of the venue. However, not only are all the collectors on Facebook but so are all the artists and mask companies. Just some of the groups I belong to are Vintage Don Post Studios Masks, Don Post Studios Mask Collecting and Swap Meet, Trick or Treat Studios Fan Club, Distortions Unlimited Collectors, Death Studios Collectors, Be Something Studios & Zagone Studios Mask Collector Group just to name a few and they all post daily. Just like the great friends I've made here I've also made a lot of friends there as well so the mask connections are out there it's just a matter of creating a Facebook account and joining some groups. It's not a disease folks, I promise.  ;) :) Happy Holidays to you all and hope to see you soon wherever it may be.

Doh!

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 12:46:24 AM »
Facebook... bah! Humbug!!

Thanks, Glenn, but I have zero desire to Facebook. I'll catch up with you at the Universal Monster Army.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, one and all!
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Josh

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »
This really does mark the end of an era. I joined in '06 and, for a while, I was pretty active. This place was at the center of one of my most fun periods of collecting. When I look through the posts from 2007 in the World Famous Topstone thread I can remember exactly how I felt then. I was totally new to Topstones and it was really cool and exciting getting leads on new masks and seeing all the discussion and interest. I'm on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and the UMA and I'll join anywhere else that masks are discussed, shared or sold but nothing will have the same feel as the HMA during its heyday.

Gory Glenn

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
I'm on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and the UMA and I'll join anywhere else that masks are discussed, shared or sold but nothing will have the same feel as the HMA during its heyday.

Agreed

mistermysteryguest

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
Fans of Halloween, and I mean true fans of Halloween and Trick-or-Treating as an American tradition and holiday better wake up to the fact that the most excellent holiday of the year is in danger of disappearing as well.  I'm not trying to sound preachy, but it's the truth.  Just like social media has made everything easier nowadays so have things like trunk-or-treating or small community Halloween parties.
     I've seen the number of T-O-Ters in my area of Michigan dwindle 80% over the last few years.  People are taking their kids trunk-or-treating or to some other alternative because it's easier or they have been duped into believing it's safer, which it's not.  Statistically, it's never been safer to be a kid.  Parents are forgetting a wonderful night when they get to go out and experience the candy, the home decorations, running through fields and forest to get to that next neighborhood before time ran out that night. 
     What I'm saying is that if we as true fans of masks and Halloween don't start to re-embrace the holiday as well as the masks we are going to lose an American tradition as a whole.   

GeorgeL

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 10:30:13 AM »
I agree mistermysteryguest, thats why I have a blowout at my house every Halloween night and bring the masks and monsters out for everyone to see. My house has become a staple in town and my kids tell me that I am the talk of their schools for the whole month of October. We ALL have to keep the spirit alive and kicking! If everyone does their part the tradition will remain. The "new generation" is anti-halloween for sure! We cannot let them take it away. Just make sure to let everyone know, you're deeply offended if they try mess with our holiday. Tell them its your religion. I do all the time and after someone laughs at you and you keep a straight face, they'll think twice!

Another Symbiote

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 01:11:02 AM »
It really sucks to see this happen. I know I haven't been here very long, but I've gotten quite attached to this place, and this specific group of people. Sure there's facebook(which is really fragmented by the way), and I guess there's the UMA...but it won't be the HMA. It won't be quite the same. Either way, I hope to bump into as many of you as possible. Be it on the previously mentioned venues, or at Maskfest someday.