Author Topic: Phantasm  (Read 161 times)

Rotting Corpse

Phantasm
« on: March 23, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »
Any fans of this series here? It's a very overlooked series by the mainstream despite some considerable cult appeal it has and a strong fan following. The series is basically a Horror/Sci-Fi hybrid (with a significant Action element present in the second) concerning the sinister operations of an otherworldy mortician known only as The Tall Man, who employs a number of minions to help him with his bidding including robed dwarves and flying killer spheres.

Sounds weird? It is, but it's so awesome and to reveal any more about the series is pretty much spoiling it. The only entry on the series I'm slightly sour on is the most recent one. You can rank them if you'd like as I will:

Phantasm II
Phantasm
Phantasm IV: Oblivion
Phantasm III: Lord Of The Dead
Phantasm V: Ravager

The original is a classic but I've always been partial to the second. Just builds upon the concept so much and takes it to new heights, and the Action/road movie approach works great. 3 and 4 were still solid sequels that built upon the mythos nicely, but while I enjoyed Ravager to a degree I got to sadly agree with the consensus that it's the weakest. The extremely cheap, low-rent quality is really off-putting and by the end it's hard not to feel gypped. 18 long years of waiting and that was the best they could do? It's grown on me somewhat since I first saw it but as a long-time fan it's hard not to feel a sense of emptyness.

Still, I adore the series and it remains my absolute favorite series of Horror films. The mix of surreal, mindbending Horror and Sci-Fi with some high-octane Action in most of the sequels is still unmatched for me. I just wish the finale had been better :/

And keeping with the theme of Halloween masks, here's this hilarious yet awesome mix-up.

Tatooine_Todd

Re: Phantasm
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
I saw Phantasm at the Drive-in back in 1980 as a twin bill with The Fog. Besides seeing Star Wars in the summer of 1977, this is my fondest movie memory.

I have loved the original ever since, but have to admit to not seeing the others. I guess that I didn't want to ruin the experience. That is going to change, however, I have preorderd the Blu-Ray box set coming out in April.

Rotting Corpse

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:34:03 PM »
The sequels are definitely worth a watch and I think you'll be glad you watched them :)

The Maskahuna

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »

I never saw any of the sequels but I remember seeing that first one
with my old pal MaskGuy, the biggest PHANTASM fan ever!

Gory Glenn

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 05:45:46 PM »

I never saw any of the sequels but I remember seeing that first one
with my old pal MaskGuy, the biggest PHANTASM fan ever!

Great pic of MaskGuy 'huna! I was just at Dark Delicacies for a signing of the Blu-ray release of Phantasm Ravager. Gracebuster was there as he was in the cast.