Author Topic: Monsterpalooza 2017 ~ The DPS Mask Exhibit  (Read 679 times)

kolchak

Re: Monsterpalooza 2017 ~ The DPS Mask Exhibit
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 12:11:08 AM »
Thanks George. Its birch plywood.  I made it for Monsterpalooza but its in my place now. The carpentry was done by Martin Smart.

I'm just glad it came out well - I didn't have a chance to see it until I put it up at the show!

kolchak

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 12:15:09 PM »
Making a mask display for the shows I really want it to be purposed for what it is. Raher than converting shelving or cabinets I design it on paper first and then Martin and I engineer it  (with as few changes as I can get away with) Its a longer way to do things but the result is hopefully something unique and I don't have to compromise on the concept. This display is in two sections - the base with the masks and the header. The materials and bracing are all designed to keep the large open spaces from bowing or sagging and keep it tall. The  1/4" acrylic windows are load bearing for example which made it unnecessary to have a clumsy center support breaking up the spaces. The graphic panels are semi gloss hi-res  scans on gator board velcro mounted to the base and top.

Tatooine_Todd

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
Making a mask display for the shows I really want it to be purposed for what it is. Raher than converting shelving or cabinets I design it on paper first and then Martin and I engineer it  (with as few changes as I can get away with) Its a longer way to do things but the result is hopefully something unique and I don't have to compromise on the concept. This display is in two sections - the base with the masks and the header. The materials and bracing are all designed to keep the large open spaces from bowing or sagging and keep it tall. The  1/4" acrylic windows are load bearing for example which made it unnecessary to have a clumsy center support breaking up the spaces. The graphic panels are semi gloss hi-res  scans on gator board velcro mounted to the base and top.

Your hard work paid off!! That is an amazing display and really helps tell the story of Don Post Studios.

gracebuster

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 01:42:14 PM »
Honestly, Kolchack, your displays are always a masterpiece of planning and presentation. Lighting and graphics and the highest quality products displayed within make, all make it more of an event then a display. Plus, having painfully assisted in moving them, they are built to withstand a nuclear holocaust. SO to all reading, GOOD NEWS, we may no longer be here but the next beings to live on our planet will always have these amazing displays to enjoy.
Bravo Kolchak.

And just by the way, Maskahuna had a kick ass display just around the corner. It was mask heaven in that museum.