Author Topic: How do we get this forum going again?  (Read 362 times)

Tatooine_Todd

How do we get this forum going again?
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
I was really involved in this forum 9-10 years ago, (I couldn't remember my old user name so I had to create a new account), and it was a really fun site with lots of activity.

Flash forward to today, I have re-entered the hobby and came back home to the HMA, only to find the lights off and nobody home.

I was told that a lot of activity moved to Facebook (I really don't get why), and that's why this site is quiet.

How do we revive the HMA? I am happy to see at least the Collection Corner thread is active, but we need to get the club house hopping again. I miss the old HMA.

The Maskahuna

Re: How do we get this forum going again?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:32:43 AM »
How do we revive the HMA?

Don't try too hard. The last guy who did got himself banned.

Josh

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »
Well, in all fairness that guy had pretty much worn out his welcome

Tatooine_Todd

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »

I definitely don't want to stir up any problems, I just want to talk mask collecting. Should I just leave it be and back away slowly?

Kidagain

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »
The person being referred to did a few things like questioning someones knowledge and integrity plus claiming to show a mask that he had just found but it turns out it was someone else's mask that is on this forum. I believe these are two things that got him in trouble with the mods.If what I said is incorrect i'm sorry but that is my memory of the situation without looking back at old posts.To his credit he did keep this place alive with a handful of others posting while there was a hiatus from the major contributors in this great mask forum.

Tatooine_Todd

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 05:48:42 PM »
The person being referred to did a few things like questioning someones knowledge and integrity plus claiming to show a mask that he had just found but it turns out it was someone else's mask that is on this forum. I believe these are two things that got him in trouble with the mods.If what I said is incorrect i'm sorry but that is my memory of the situation without looking back at old posts.To his credit he did keep this place alive with a handful of others posting while there was a hiatus from the major contributors in this great mask forum.

Okay, that does sound like he got what he deserved. As for myself, I certainly wouldn't question anyones knowledge since mine is so lacking. That's why I want to see an active forum, so I can gain some knowledge of this cool hobby.

I love this place, and would love to see it thrive like some of the other places I haunt.

WayneDoodle

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
I was thinking about his walking into work.  Facebook communities is so instantaneous that a lot of message boards are going the way of the dodo bird.  Times have changed. 

EA does so much for the community and because of him we have this forum. Above it all, he has coordinated Maskfest! 
Waynedoodle

The Maskahuna

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
because of him we have this forum. Above it all, he has coordinated Maskfest!

I can't help but notice that MaskFest's home page no longer reads "The HMA.net presents ..."
What does that suggest about the future of this forum?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:30:37 PM by The Maskahuna »

Gory Glenn

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
If this site does die there is another route we could take. We could create a Facebook group. I recently joined the Be Something Studios and Death Studios collectors groups on Facebook. I don't know all the particulars but it shouldn't be hard to find out. It looks like a Facebook member can create the group and assign people as admins. These groups are closed to non-members posting until they join but they can view. The Death Studios group even had a 2 question questionnaire to fill out before approving just to make sure you were a real collector/enthusiast. It's pretty cool because the traffic is much higher and the photo posting is much easier since you don't need a host site. Just a thought guys.

Tatooine_Todd

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »
If this site does die there is another route we could take. We could create a Facebook group. I recently joined the Be Something Studios and Death Studios collectors groups on Facebook. I don't know all the particulars but it shouldn't be hard to find out. It looks like a Facebook member can create the group and assign people as admins. These groups are closed to non-members posting until they join but they can view. The Death Studios group even had a 2 question questionnaire to fill out before approving just to make sure you were a real collector/enthusiast. It's pretty cool because the traffic is much higher and the photo posting is much easier since you don't need a host site. Just a thought guys.

I'd hate to see it come to that, however, I definitely want to do anything to keep this place alive in whatever format.

Kidagain

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 03:34:13 PM »
If this Facebook thing happens you lost me, not on Facebook and never will.

Gory Glenn

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 05:41:31 PM »
If this Facebook thing happens you lost me, not on Facebook and never will.

I get it my friend. Many of us old school guys don't want anything to do with Facebook. However, just about every mask company and indie artist are there now and have completely abandoned sites like this. I love the HMA, UMA etc., but the world has moved on to social media whether we like it or not.