Author Topic: How important is a tag?  (Read 307 times)

Tatooine_Todd

How important is a tag?
« on: May 26, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
I am trying to reacquire all of the Don Post calendar reissues, and I have the opportunity to add another of these elusive masks. The caveat from the seller is that it is missing the DP tag. Since these are so scarce, I am probably going to add it anyway, and can always add another with tag in the future if I can find it.

But it got me thinking of the importance of tags. In many ways, mask collecting is like no other collecting. Often times the pieces we hunt are so rare, any form is acceptable unlike say; action figure collecting, or comic books, for instance, where "Mint on Card", or "NM/M" is the choice.

So I was wondering, how important is a mask "with tag" when deciding what to add to your collection?

The Maskahuna

Re: How important is a tag?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM »
Having acquired DP reissues with and without tags,
I'm indifferent to them. What matters most to me
is a good finish, whether stock or custom.

Gory Glenn

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
I personally don't care about the tags. When I purchase masks I usually take the tag off as most masks these days have that little bugger stuck right on the cheek of the mask and interrupts the sculpt. I like my masks looking like art when displayed, not merchandise. Sometimes I will leave them on in the event the tag is attached to the rear of the mask and doesn't get in the way of the sculpt. That being said I save all bags and tags from my masks and if I ever sell a mask I reattach the tag which is simple to do with a clothes tagging gun that you can purchase from Amazon for about ten bucks. Works like a charm too.  I agree with Maskahuna, it's more about the condition and finish of the mask itself.

I know what your saying about other collector hobbies though. If you go over to the UMA most collectors there insist on having mint in box or original packaging with their collectables and some feel the same way about tags on masks. Some even care about the condition of the tag! To each his own.  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:06:48 PM by Gory Glenn »

Kidagain

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 01:36:41 PM »
I agree with Huna and Glenn,tags are not as important as the condition of the mask.Keep them on as long as you can hide the buggers or cut them off and tape them inside to keep them with the masks at least.It is totally up to you and don't worry about what others think.

Tatooine_Todd

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
I completely agree with you guys and feel the same way about tags. I agree with Gory that often the tag detracts from an otherwise excellent sculpt due to its placement.

theshape1188

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 07:56:59 PM »
I own almost every piece in the reissue line & as for the tag situation, is it a make it or break it situation? .... for me no... 95% of them are still tagged fortunately but for imprtoantacne it comes Down to the The finish & pull condition. I recently acquired the Karloff that had major mask rust to the face & I had it rehauled by The Tharps. The calendar masks are my favorite masks in my entire collection. Honored to own every single one of them, if you can get them with or without the tag I'd be very happy.

lblambert

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 11:00:28 PM »
I'm not going to be as dismissive of the value of tags. I agree that they do not make a difference on the value of 1998 reissues now (except possibly the Dracula since it had a different tag than the others). However, consider how a tag does significantly increase the value of a mask released in the '70s. Who's to say whether tags will or will not make a difference to the value of the reissues 20 years from now. Keep in mind that, within the last decade, reissues were not hard to find and only a few were expensive. That's already changed quite a bit, so who can say for certain whether tags will or will not make a difference to future value. I guess the bottom line in answering your question is that a tag wouldn't be the difference between buying a mask or not, and I would always take an untagged mask with a good finish over a tagged, rusted copy. If the condition of the masks were the same though, I would lean towards the tagged copy even if it were a few bucks more.   

Gory Glenn

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
I would also add on the pro side that if you see a mask for sale with a tag that's usually a good indication that the mask was not used for wearing purposes. I just prefer displaying without if the placement blocks the sculpt. In the case of the DP re-issues the tag is on the rear of the mask and low on the neck so it doesn't interfere with any of it's features.