Author Topic: Trick or Treat Studios Black Friday Sale  (Read 316 times)

Doh!

Trick or Treat Studios Black Friday Sale
« on: November 24, 2017, 03:51:24 PM »
They have 20% most things on their site. I'm taking a chance and ordering their Theater Jack from American Werewolf in London. The sculpt and paint are flawless, but the hair frankly sucks: it was curly upon first release! I saw a new one at Son of Monsterpalooza this year and the hair did look much better -- but not great. I'll post pix upon arrival. I just hope they don't ship me one from their old stock...

https://www.trickortreatstudios.com/?utm_campaign=Trick+or+Treat+Studios+-+Black+Friday+20%25+Off+Site-Wide+Sale+-+Retail+%28MaCZcL%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=Ym9uem9oYXJ0QGF0dC5uZXQ%3D&utm_source=2017+Haunt+Show+List
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Gory Glenn

Re: Trick or Treat Studios Black Friday Sale
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Doh! and good luck on Theater Jack. I've held off on one for the same reason. Hopefully Curly Jack is long gone.  ;) I picked up a copy of Ancient Evil which was the mask that Robert Short sculpted at Don Con. It's 50% off right now. I'll post some pics later.

Doh!

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 03:11:32 AM »
Well, I finally took pictures of my Black Friday haul. Let's start with Captain Kirk...

Pretty good Shatner likeness, although I wish the sculpt had some more detail to it. The hair is pretty well done, although I am disappointed that the sideburns aren't true points the way they appeared on the show. It fits pretty well, but I really got it to be a display piece due to my love of the Michael Myers mask it inspired. Next up, Leatherface...

Love the rawhide strings they attached! Because the mask is cut apart, it should fit even the largest of noggins, mine included. The hair is sewn into place and is pretty generous. I just wish they hadn't sculpted the mouth. If I decide to use it as a Halloween mask, I'll be cutting out the mouth. The "wire" is a separate piece, probably plastic. How about a Moss Walker next...

This one has flawless sculpt and paint! They even added little pieces of "moss" to the hair -- great touch. The major drawback, however, is the size: too damned small! I can't get my eyes to line up with holes in any way, shape, or form. Disappointing, but I do have other zombie masks I can use when the need arises. Lastly, Theater Jack (*sigh!*)...

Either I got one from their old stock, or they STILL haven't fixed the hair!! Major disappointment. The sculpt and paint are superb, but the hair is amateur hour. Who decided to make it curly?? This is also another one that's way too small to wear (not that I was planning on it, considering the hair). I might have to send this out to get it rehaired so I can make it a proper display piece.

And there you have it, folks.
--J.J. Hunsecker

Kidagain

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:07:11 AM »
Sad to hear that two of the masks are too small to wear.Hope that is not the norm for TOTS masks now, for me a mask is meant to be worn not just looked at sitting on a shelf.Otherwise,great haul Doh! .

Gory Glenn

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 12:14:25 PM »
Nice haul Doh! The Kirk mask is fine. It could just use a tad of shading to bring out the sculpt. All the TCM masks I've seen look good and yours is no exception. I especially like the Pretty Woman mask. Might have to pick that one up as well as the upcoming Chop Top. That Moss Walker is bad ass! Love the look of that one. Too bad about Jack's hair. I was hoping you'd get a revised copy. They really need to fix that. Overall you've picked up some real beauties here. I think the Moss Walker is my favorite. Congrats!

Doh!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:22:58 PM »
Thanks, Kidagain! The odd thing is, their Deer Walker mask from Walking Dead is hugely big! Together, they'd fit perfectly...

Glenn, the Moss Walker is my favorite of the haul as well.

I'm curious to see what their 2018 line has to offer. I skipped their Twilight Zone masks; the "Eye of the Beholder" was on my radar, but I saw one in person and it's another small casting. Also, the make-up isn't that exciting to me to be a display piece.
--J.J. Hunsecker

The Maskahuna

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:44:05 AM »
I saw one of those Capt Kirk masks at a convention. 'Will probably end up
getting one. The idea of someone marketing a Kirk mask that looks like
DP's is just too crazy cool to pass up! Leatherface looks fairly accurate
although I was never a big fan of the movie. I'd be afraid to even touch
those other two. 'Might soil my hands!

Doh!

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 01:34:56 AM »
Thanks to a tip I found on the UMA, I was able to straighten Jack's hair somewhat by running my fingers through the hair, then using a wig  brush. Not perfect, but a vast improvement:

--J.J. Hunsecker

The Maskahuna

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:53:54 AM »
I'll bet you could get it even straighter by applying heat. Brush it out while
directing a hair dryer at it. Better yet, take it to your local salon. They'd
probably appreciate a break in their routine ... if they don't pass out from
fright instead!

Kidagain

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
Go in wearing it and ask for a hair straitening and hope they don't call the cops!

Gory Glenn

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
Go in wearing it and ask for a hair straitening and hope they don't call the cops!

This reminds me of a time in my teens when a friend and I on Halloween went to visit a friend that worked at KFC while wearing masks. We thought it was funny until we heard the gasps from the restaurant staff. Turns out they thought we were there to rob the place! :o The things you do when you're a kid.  ;D

Kidagain

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
Feet don't fail me now!!!!

Doh!

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 12:49:14 AM »
All good advice!
--J.J. Hunsecker