Author Topic: Start archiving and saving any photos, etc., from the forums.  (Read 733 times)

HMAEA

• Administrator
    • http://www.thehma.net
Start archiving and saving any photos, etc., from the forums.
« on: December 18, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »

The HMA has run its course and (social media has killed the forum star). The HMA will remain open through the end of January, but I will then be closing the doors. We've had a good run - basically 20 years, but the time has come to say goodbye. Yes, I could always start a FB group for THEHMA, but it would be just another in a sea of dozens upon dozens of groups "dedicated" to masks.

At any rate, you can always enjoy The HMA experience through MASK-FEST!

Take care.

E.

Tarman

• http://www.3chipproductions.com
Re: Start archiving and saving any photos, etc., from the forums.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
I have deeply valued the knowledge and friendships I have made here over the years.  Thanks so much Eric for everything!

Alf
Tarman

The Tar-Myers is almost done!

Jason-V

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:02:20 PM »
Hate to see this.. it's been awhile since I've been here, but this place has been home for sometime.
Michael

Kidagain

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »
Still limping along,need new members to pick up the slack.

Josh

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 02:21:18 PM »
Still limping along,need new members to pick up the slack.

I think what we need is the old members to come back once in a while. A lot of the HMA vets are on Instagram and FB posting regularly. If we could get just one or two posts per week from former members still active on social media this place would look alive again. 

Kidagain

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 05:19:34 PM »
I'm not on Facebook so I don't know what the attraction is to posting on that site compared to here.It just seemed to have happened very quickly that this place became a ghost town and only a few of us ghosts are still here. I do see that there are people registering here but don't know if it goes through to become a member.

Josh

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 05:40:35 PM »
Facebook allows access to a much larger community since once your signed up you have access to a ton of sub-groups. It also acts as an aggregator by filtering the posts and responses from all the disparate groups through your personal feed. So, I can see posts from all the mask groups I'm a member of, the VHS groups, the comic book groups, etc all just by logging on and scrolling down.

However, this is also its biggest weakness. Posts get buried pretty quickly as new posts are created that push them down. The format is also not very conducive to long threads with dozens of response. The Collection Corner thread could never exist on FB, for example. FB is also no good for archiving and categorizing threads like the forum does.

I think it boils down to what you want to get out of a social media experience. If you want to reach the largest audience immediately with a short, tightly focused post then FB is the way to go. If you want to initiate a detailed conversation with a smaller, more interest-focused groups that may take days or weeks to unfold then the forum is best for that.

Kidagain

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 05:45:22 PM »
Thanks for your reply Josh.