Author Topic: Share funny or unusual stories you have with masks...  (Read 271 times)

Gory Glenn

Share funny or unusual stories you have with masks...
« on: January 25, 2018, 03:01:39 PM »
Thought I would start a thread here as short lived as it may be based on a post I made in another thread that Maskahuna liked. If you have any stories of interest whether they're funny, crazy or unusual that are mask related post them here. Here's the recap of mine.

In my teens a friend and I went to visit a friend on Halloween that worked at KFC while wearing masks. We thought it was funny until we heard the gasps from the restaurant staff. Turns out they thought we were there to rob the place! :o The things you do when you're a kid. It didn't even dawn on us that we could be perceived that way. Thank goodness no KFC employee was armed or pushed the panic button. Who knows what could have happened! ;D

jupiter2

Re: Share funny or unusual stories you have with masks...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 04:44:42 PM »
Interesting topic, Gory Glenn. I'll add a quick one.

One night we decided to put an old 300 line Don Post mask on my 3-year-old god son, as he has always shown an interest in my mask collection, and we figured he would have fun.
As soon as he saw himself in the mirror, he tore it off of his face, into several pieces! He was more mad at us than he was afraid.
We were laughing too hard to really worry much about the mask.

Gory Glenn

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:02:41 PM »
Interesting topic, Gory Glenn. I'll add a quick one.

One night we decided to put an old 300 line Don Post mask on my 3-year-old god son, as he has always shown an interest in my mask collection, and we figured he would have fun.
As soon as he saw himself in the mirror, he tore it off of his face, into several pieces! He was more mad at us than he was afraid.
We were laughing too hard to really worry much about the mask.

Scarred for life!  ;D When my son was younger he used to like taking this cheap bloody vampire mask I had that looked like the vampires in 30 Days of Night and hiding in closets, etc. and jumping out and trying to scare me. He got me good a few times and he loved it when that happened. I still have that mask.

The Maskahuna

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
Haha, great reply, jupiter2. What a fun thread this will be. Thanks, GoryGlenn.
Did anyone bother reminding KFC staff that it was, after all, Halloween?!

Times are tough for masks these days with everyone so paranoid. In former
times, I was a master at scare tactics. There were many instances but these
come to mind right away:

I scared the crap out of one of my neighbors on a summer's day. He was lounging
in his backyard with his boombox up way too loud so I slipped into my first edition
DP YETI and peered over the wall. It had the desired effect and he promptly
went inside.

On another occasion, I was in the alley photographing my latest score,
a '76 DP PHANTOM. At a neighboring property, there were what sounded
like six or eight giggling girls playing a spirited game of hide & seek.
Anxious to "break in" my new mask and rebuke their merriment at
the same time, I put it on and crept up to their back gate. Two
unsuspecting girls ran out into the alley and came face-to-face with
Erik! They didn't linger long ... and it was all captured on film ~

Don't worry; they weren't permanently traumatized. Within a minute
they formed a posse and hunted me down.

Many years later I attended a masquerade at a local hotel. Walking through
the hall outfitted as Frankenstein, I came upon two housekeepers
chatting in a maintenance room. I stuck my masked head in and let loose
with a growl. One screamed, then the other whirled around and screamed.
I heard a laugh behind me, from a passerby, then we all started laughing.
That was a fun night.

I scared a hotel room of several people once but the reaction was so extreme,
I decided to retire the gig. Nowadays I never scare anyone ... deliberately.  ::)

Gory Glenn

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:18:51 PM »
Great stories 'huna! And you did some quality scaring with those classic DP masks!

Doh!

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 01:48:15 AM »
We got cable installed in 1982, and one of the first movies I watched with my mom was Friday the 13th, Part 2. I'm sure we all know that Jason had a shrine to his mother in that one -- including her severed head. Well, we watched it on a school night, and the next morning when I went to grab the milk for my cereal, I opened the fridge only to find my DP Skull mask on the shelf instead! I almost wet myself. Mom had somehow grabbed the mask when I was asleep, and rigged the fridge. She made sure to stay in the kitchen to see her handiwork.

A few years later, I acquired a DP Freddy Krueger mask and kept it displayed in my bedroom. My (4 or 5-year old) niece came to visit and when she saw the mask, kept muttering "I'm not afraid... I'm not afraid..." all the while backing away from the mask. I then pulled it off of the wig head to show her it wasn't real, then asked if she wanted to try it on. Not only did she try it on, she didn't want to take it off! On subsequent visits, she had fun trying on the others I had at the time. She's in therapy now, but totally worth it...

(I kid, I kid.)
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Gory Glenn

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
We got cable installed in 1982, and one of the first movies I watched with my mom was Friday the 13th, Part 2. I'm sure we all know that Jason had a shrine to his mother in that one -- including her severed head. Well, we watched it on a school night, and the next morning when I went to grab the milk for my cereal, I opened the fridge only to find my DP Skull mask on the shelf instead! I almost wet myself. Mom had somehow grabbed the mask when I was asleep, and rigged the fridge. She made sure to stay in the kitchen to see her handiwork.

A few years later, I acquired a DP Freddy Krueger mask and kept it displayed in my bedroom. My (4 or 5-year old) niece came to visit and when she saw the mask, kept muttering "I'm not afraid... I'm not afraid..." all the while backing away from the mask. I then pulled it off of the wig head to show her it wasn't real, then asked if she wanted to try it on. Not only did she try it on, she didn't want to take it off! On subsequent visits, she had fun trying on the others I had at the time. She's in therapy now, but totally worth it...

(I kid, I kid.)

LOL! Great stories Doh! Your Mom sounds like she was a lot of fun!

Gory Glenn

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 12:15:42 PM »
Another Halloween story that came to mind was when a friend and I decided to build a coffin to stand up on end that we would put near his front door when we handed out candy. The idea was one of us would stand inside it and jump out and scare kids as they came to the front door for candy. We built it out of plywood for the sides and pegboard for the back and when we painted it black it turned out looking pretty good. It was decided I would be the coffin monster and my friend would man the candy bowl. I was totally on board with that! This was in the 70's so my buddy also had a black light as many of us did back then (remember black light posters?). I had this generic 3/4 latex mask that was painted with phosphorescent paint and had long gray hair. It had a similar look to the Shock Monster and it looked really good under that black light. I also decided to wear attire that would cover me completely and I stood motionless so kids would think I was a prop dummy (which was only half true  ;)).

It was really effective! Kids would even poke me as they came up and would say things like "Is he real?", "Nah, he's not real" so when I jumped out of the coffin it startled the c**p out of them! I was having so much fun and my friend was cracking up watching all these kids freak out! But then a little girl came up. She was cute as a button and dressed as a Princess. She came up and got her candy and as she walked away I jumped out! She ran down the driveway screaming! About half way down the driveway she fell where she lied there screaming waiting for her demise. I always thought that only happened in the movies but here it was in real life. At that moment I noticed her parents at the end of the driveway! My face must have been white under that mask. I immediately started apologizing "I'm so sorry, really, I'm so very sorry!" At that moment I noticed that her parents were laughing their heads off. They thought it was hilarious! Man, was I relieved!

That was a fun night and and one of my fondest memories of Halloween. Wish we had taken pictures.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:25:27 PM by Gory Glenn »

Another Symbiote

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 02:01:32 AM »
Great thread, Glenn! Aside from my older brother constantly getting into my mask stash, and scaring our little brothers and nephews, I don't have much in the way of stories.

The 5th grade Halloween party comes to mind, though. As I recall, some kids stopped dressing up that year, while others just weren't very impressive. That year I scored an awesome mask from the long defunct PartyLand. A Skull Warrior mask from Disguise Inc.(pictured below)

I was certain that I had the best thing going in our grade, by far. Enter Michael. We had a lot of common interests. Video games, monsters, and gross-out humor. Earlier in the party, one of his parents showed up to help him with his costume. They left the classroom...time passed, and everyone kinda forgot about him. When he finally came back, a hush fell over us. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared. He had overalls and a flannel shirt, stuffed with something to simulate a fat-suit. His face was obscured by one of the craziest masks I'd ever seen...An Illusive Concepts Barf mask.

He immediately became the center of attention. He 1-upped me big time, and I thought it was totally awesome. It's a shame kids only have access to the same cookie cutter options these days. I'm glad we had so much cool stuff right there on store shelves when I was that age!

Gory Glenn

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 03:36:52 PM »
Fun story! Illusive Concepts made some great stuff back in the day.