Author Topic: Rare 1947 Don Post Masks  (Read 260 times)

Colbster

Rare 1947 Don Post Masks
« on: February 03, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
What is the oldest mass-produced mask that you own/owned?

I should have posted this here soon after but a couple years ago I discovered three masks dating back to 1947. The seller was cleaning out an old big estate in Oregon and found a box of Halloween items used for a Halloween party in 1947 which had these three masks. I purchased them. Two of them were unbelievably in amazing shape for their age, they were still pliable and completely intact. One was the ďBlondeĒ from the Glamour Girls line which can be seen in the 1948 Don Post Catalog available for viewing in the catalog archive on Peteís blog and the other was obviously Mortimer Snerd which appears to be an earlier version than the one seen in the 1948 catalog. The last one is still unidentified as far as I know and was falling apart in the back but its face was still holding up well. I tried to have them foam-filled but to no avail. I only owned them for months before I was talked into selling them to a friend.

prestonjjrtr

Re: Rare 1947 Don Post Masks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:16:51 PM »
This was such an incredibly amazing awesome find Colbster.  The Blonde Glamour Girl and Mortimer Snerd are even more impressive and astonishing in person.  A very special thanks Colbster for these two beauties.  They both are in such awesome flexible, pliable shape and condition and are now over 70 years old !     

Maskahuna and Kelly Mann examined both of these masks and agreed that they shouldn't be foam filled and instead be stuffed with poly-batting.  Kelly mentioned that these were a true treasure, incredibly rare and that they still exist at all was remarkable ! 

Rubberroom has the following vintage ad showing the Don Posts Masks in a Franco American Noveltly Company Ad

A 1948 Don Post business card when Don Post was still located in Chicago, Il showing the Mortimer Snerd and mentioning the Glamour Girl.

Josh

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 06:29:18 PM »
Incredible masks. I especially like the Mortimer Snerd. That third one looks a bit like Lugosi.

Kidagain

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:28:19 PM »
I guess the oldest masks I had were in the early to mid 60's of Frankenstein and Dracula.Photo's are from an old 8mm film that was made with a few guys on my block.I'm Dracula.
IMG_1632 by Jeffrey Allen, on Flickr
IMG_1633 by Jeffrey Allen, on Flickr
The date on the bottom of the pics is when I took a photo from the film before it started to break apart. Masks are long gone.

Colbster

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 10:50:46 PM »
Hey prestonjjrtr, they went to a good home! :D
Glad you appreciate them. They are certainly something special, itís a miracle that they survived in this condition. Thanks for posting the cool ads here.

Josh, the Mortimer Snerd is my favorite out of the set, too.

Kidagain, thatís awesome! Thanks for sharing the photos. The Dracula mask looks like a  Hollywood Horrors Dracula!

Kidagain

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 12:10:00 PM »
It is and I sent away for it through FM magazine.

Another Symbiote

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
Wow...what an incredible find! The fact that these have survived this long is nothing short of miraculous.

Kidagain

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 05:14:51 PM »
Sorry AS but the masks are long gone.Usually just took them off and threw them in the closet, yup sweat and all.

prestonjjrtr

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »
Hey prestonjjrtr, they went to a good home! :D
Glad you appreciate them. They are certainly something special, itís a miracle that they survived in this condition. Thanks for posting the cool ads here.

They are truly treasured Colbster and can't thank you enough !   It really is miraculous they have survived probably due to having used better materials when they made them.  I'm so glad they did !  Thanks again !

Josh, love the Mortimer Snerd too, but hard to decide which one I like better than the other.  They both are so special and unique.

Kidagain, absolutely love those pics !  What monsteriffic memories !

Another Symbiote, it is truly amazing that they are over 70+ years old and still pliable too.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:57:41 PM by prestonjjrtr »