Author Topic: Ray Heikesí Masks (Tribute to razorwyre1)  (Read 420 times)

Colbster

Ray Heikesí Masks (Tribute to razorwyre1)
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
Raymond Heikes was active here for only two years before he passed away but in the short time he was here on this forum he was always very active and went out of his way to help out anyone who had a question or asked for an advice, he racked up over 700 comments and already reached the Hero status. His way of never using CAPS bothered me in a funny way but his comments/responses were always well-thought-out and helpful.

Hereís a couple of his masks in my collection. There is a lot of Demon Skulls out there that were produced by Rubies with a slightly different paint scheme. The Rubies ones have the ďMade in MexicoĒ stamp whereas mine doesnít (thanks to EA for this info).

I would love to see yours if you have any!

Kidagain

Re: Ray Heikesí Masks (Tribute to razorwyre1)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 11:58:25 AM »
Ray was a cool guy,miss him.

Gory Glenn

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 12:06:23 PM »
Nice pieces!

Another Symbiote

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 04:46:14 PM »
Though totally unexpected, I'm super glad to see this topic pop up. I wish I had known about this place a few years earlier, because it would've been cool to be able to interact with the guy. When I get right down to it, I'd have to pick Ray Heikes as my favorite mask-maker. He is responsible for my favorite masks, after all.

As a massive Iron Maiden fan, I have to include this one.

As for the Demon Skull...now that's an interesting one. It actually has two distinctly different versions co-existing together. The Rubies version like the one in your collection...

...And the Forum Novelties version.

raycastile

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 12:52:36 AM »
I wish I would have interviewed him about his experiences sculpting for Topstone. But he was already ill when I started doing those interviews. I figured I would wait until he was feeling better, not realizing how dire his condition was.

Doh!

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 01:30:53 AM »
I have a really great copy of his Forum Novelties Wolf Man. Most people have issue with the hair flopping forward, but mine stayed in place with no effort from me:

I still have to paint the nose on mine... some day.
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Another Symbiote

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »
How on earth did you get such nice copy, Doh? It seems like most of the time people get one with troublesome hair. That issue aside, it's a great sculpt. The Frank and Creature from that set are great too, and the velcro straps are a cool innovation!

Doh!

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 01:37:37 AM »
When Ray first put these up for order, I sent him a PM and asked him to sign the tag. He did, and I suspect he might have tweaked the hair for me before shipping it out. Either way, he seemed like a great guy and is still missed.
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Another Symbiote

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 11:57:23 PM »
Sounds like a strong possibility. I've heard that the early copies were actually okay, which makes the hair trouble all the more baffling.

MrDark1

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »
First that I am hearing of his passing, so sorry to hear this.  He was a very talented artist.
I love his versions of my beloved Uni Monsters!  Very impressive sculpts for these later day Classic Monsters releases.
Collected all three, and even now, while searching, and looking for masks, seeing pictures of these masks still has that eye catching appeal!
He answered my email on how to fix-'style' his Wolf Man hair on this - already Missing It- site, in the Mask Making thread.

His Creature Blk Lagoon mask is just so Classic looking, just so happens that mine is on a shelf in my living room, so I am seeing it every day since its first release, and it has never failed to impress me, and now I will see it in memory, and honor of his artistry.

Another Symbiote

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
I wish I would have interviewed him about his experiences sculpting for Topstone. But he was already ill when I started doing those interviews. I figured I would wait until he was feeling better, not realizing how dire his condition was.

Just out of curiosity, when was he sculting for Topstone? Was this before or after American Mask and Novelty? I'd be interested in knowing which products were his creations.

Gory Glenn

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
How on earth did you get such nice copy, Doh? It seems like most of the time people get one with troublesome hair. That issue aside, it's a great sculpt. The Frank and Creature from that set are great too, and the velcro straps are a cool innovation!

Actually it's quite easy to make it look like that. I used a baby's hair brush and some plain old Suave extra hold hair spray and it looks great. Why Forum would apply long hair like that on the face and do nothing to secure it is baffling. Dr. Lady talks about that issue in his review below. Also, as Doh! mentioned painting the nose makes a huge difference and is easy to do. I just used acrylic paint from a craft store and a model brush and it looks way better.