Author Topic: Son of Monsterpalooza 2018  (Read 290 times)

Gory Glenn

Son of Monsterpalooza 2018
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:18:05 PM »
Was a fun show but I didn't take any pictures this year since my focus was spending time with my son. We had a great time! I did take one pic of my son with The Nun! if anyone here attended and can add some pics from the show I'm sure we'd all enjoy that.

Ran into Justin Mabry at the show. Super nice guy and had a great conversation with him about, what else?, masks. I did pick up a 2018 ToTS mask at the show which happened to be sculpted by Justin. Why the heck I didn't have Justin sign it I'll never know. It didn't even dawn on me until it was too late. Old age setting in I guess. Here's some pics of the mask. The Beast of Blood!  :o

Doh!

Re: Son of Monsterpalooza 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
Cool photos, Glenn! I chatted with Justin briefly at Don Con and did get him to sign a couple of masks for me, one being his Phantom of the Opera for TOTS. He does great work.
"You're dead, son.  Get yourself buried."
--J.J. Hunsecker

Kidagain

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
Great looking mask Glenn, looks like your son enjoys the same stuff like his dad.Good times together.

The Maskahuna

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
'Great post, Gory Glenn. Take my word for it: if Glenn's son was standing up, he'd be as tall as that monster nun behind him!
By the way, were you there to see that one of those nun figures was alive and would jump out and scare anyone who got too close?

The Beast of Blood is so scary cool! Didn't we discuss that character in jupiter2's thread once? I met up with Justin too and he told me
something about upcoming ToTS releases, including DPS classics. They tell me Don Post was there at the convention somewhere
but I missed him.

Trick or Treat's booth was crazy active all weekend. I had a tough time just trying to get pics of it ~

'Managed to get some close-ups of the popular favorites ~

Their "Undertaker" mask did really well. In fact, I think they sold out of that character!

Immortal Masks always has an incredible display. I reached it early before the crowds got too thick ~

I visited often at the "World of Verne Langdon" booth where The Neanderthal, Dead Earnest,
and Dr Druid masks are still available ~

New for this year is an encore of their Zombie mug, complete with carrying crate. They tell me it sold well ~

I also got the scoop on that mysterious little balloon ascensionist who's always seen hovering in the background ~

It belongs to young "Fairy Bree", one of the proprietors, as a reminder that her late "Uncle Verne"
is always watching over her from the clouds ~

Here are some of the strange things I saw in the dealer's room ~

Casey Wong made a life-sized figure of horror host Zacherley, the cool ghoul ~

This WEREWOLF mask and hands were at the Fright Night Studios table
although they were created by an outfit called Monsterworx ~

I saw this ERIK mask at the "Baxa" table. It was cast from the original metal mold
but the top of the head came out defective so they just painted it like a nasty wound ~

I see this MooreMonsters GILLMAN mask at their booth every show. This copy is
painted differently from previous years ~

By the end of a convention, you realize that the strangest things you've seen
all weekend are the actual attendees ~

That's all I got. Let's hope for lots more ... 

Kidagain

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:05:25 PM »
Great pics Huna,thanks for giving us folks that can't make these shows a peek at what happened.Now for that little tidbit about new releases from TOTS on DPS classics would one be a GS Frank! Yes I know when Glenn see's this post he'll say the Kid's at it again with his big wish, well he's right! Thanks again Huna and Glenn for the pics.

Doh!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 03:02:13 AM »
WOW! Thanks for the additional photos, 'huna! I really wish that I could have made it this time, but life... happens.
--J.J. Hunsecker

Gory Glenn

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
Thanks guys appreciate the kind words. And an extra thank you to Doh! for the 'palooza ticket. Just wish it hadn't been under those particular circumstances. Get well soon.

Ha, yes my son is a tall drink of water to be sure.  :) Didn't see the "jump out" Nun's. Maybe a good thing unless my son has gotten over that type of thing. I can't get him to go to haunted houses because of that sort of thing. I blame that on a Leatherface costume a neighbor wore with real working chainsaw (chain was removed) one Halloween when he was really young. The guy was chasing people in the street with smoke pouring out of that noisy chainsaw! Pretty scary stuff! Scarred for life!  :o One funny thing was when we were at the ToTS booth I bought my Beast of Blood mask from Chris Zephro and my son asked me "is that the president of the company?!". He couldn't believe that a president would be working a booth.  ;D

Justin told me about the Don Post reissue masks as well. Looks like I'll be able to replace my melted Mummy 5000 BC for a reasonable price after all. I mentioned my Chinese made Mummy 5000 reissue to him and before I could even get the words out of my mouth he replied "it melted". Ha, I guess it's a well known fact about those Chinese masks, right Doh!?  ;) I mentioned to him that I had been looking for one of his Aurora Frankenstein masks and he said he had a blank already made. So he's going to paint it for me when he can squeeze it into his busy schedule and invited me over to his place to pick it up. Said he has lots of cool stuff to see which I have no doubt. Should be a fun visit.

I had this mask in my hands. For $60 I almost popped on it. It was crazy thick! Maybe I should have. Other than the damage on the top it looked pretty cool.

Thanks for posting all the great pics 'huna! It was good seeing you at the show! Sorry I interrupted your panel discussion.  ;) ;D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 12:54:20 PM by Gory Glenn »

Doh!

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
Thanks, Glenn! Curse those melting masks...

I've lost 5, all DPs:

Leatherface
Micheal Myers
Greedo
Yoda
Werewolf

And 1 Bizarro Superman, not sure of the maker. Note that my 1978 Chewbacca is still intact!
--J.J. Hunsecker

prestonjjrtr

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 06:31:03 PM »
Special thanks Maskahuna for posting all of the monsteriffic photos !  Looks like you had a wonderful and fun time at the show.   

Gory Glenn

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 07:14:29 PM »
This is for Maskahuna.  ;)